Debian install non-free firmware

G

ggutknecht

Hi,

I have installed debian on a dell inspirion 5050 8g ram if it matters. Did not load non-free firmware. Went to etc file but cannot access as root. says no permission even as root. I am at my wits end and am about to go crazy. All the information is overwhelming and confusing in the wiki and other areas. How do I access etc file to edit sources.list?

Hi,

I have installed debian on a dell inspirion 5050 8g ram if it matters. Did not load non-free firmware. Went to etc file but cannot access as root. says no permission even as root. I am at my wits end and am about to go crazy. All the information is overwhelming and confusing in the wiki and other areas. How do I access etc file to edit sources.list?
etc is a directory which contains the sources.list file. To edit the sources list using a text editor, such as nano, try the following (as root):
Code:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

You can use ls to determine what are directories and what are files. For example, if you run
Code:
ls -l /
the entry for /etc will be something like this:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 110 root    root  12288 Aug 22 16:42 etc
Notice the d in front of the permissions list. A file will look something like this:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 ryanvade users 92112 Jul 12 21:45 main.cpp
and a symbolic link will look like this:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root      7 Feb 16  2015 bin -> usr/bin

Members online

Latest posts