Debian bootloader problems

Peer

Reaction score
Credits
If I want to use debian on newer labtops I always have to use the grub on my other Ubuntu installation to bot Debian. Why the never bioses never see my debian installation?

Bios and Bootloader are 2 differents things.

Your bios (Basic Input Output System) is basically a primitive level. He can detect disks, and performs somes really basic tasks on the hardware.

Your bios will detect the drives connected to your motherboard, and then access to the MBR (Master Boot Record).

On this MBR you will find grub (or another bootloader), generally with an access to /boot with the kernels and minios and it 'detect' also the others systems availables.

Then the bootloader load vmlinuz, initsystem (systemd or sysinitV), kernel...etc

Thats why you have to use grub anyway. Your bios cant see any os, and wouldn't know what to do with it.

Even Windows use a bootloader.. its just hidden, but you might see it if you install 2 differents version of the Microsoft OS;)

Last edited:
G'day @Peer - can you take a phone picture or two of your Grub screen and post them here?

Cheers

Wiz

@tchakatak Ubuntu has a grub and debian has a grub, but my bios just detect the grub on my ubuntu installation

@Peer I assume your computer is booting on the drive with ubuntu installed on it.
Try to change the boot order, and boot on the other disk. You should have the "debian grub".

You can also regenerate a configuration file for one of the 2 grub, and use it to boot either on Debian or on Ubuntu.

@Peer I assume your computer is booting on the drive with ubuntu installed on it.
Try to change the boot order, and boot on the other disk. You should have the "debian grub".
no thats the problem: If I pull my USB-Stick with my debian installation in my computer and if I go to the boot menu there is just windows bootmanager

G'day @Peer - you have me wondering whether that
  • is just a Live USB stick of Debian or
  • do you have it fully installed to hard drive?
Or do you have a full install of Debian on the stick?

Although you do very well with English I am mindful that it is not your first language (Peer is German), so ask any questions if you are not sure of what I am seeking to establish.

I know you had Ubuntu before you started learning about, and working with, Debian. Is/was the Ubuntu on a stick as well?

Is it just Windows on your PC?

I am thinking back to late May/early June at this Thread of yours here, and in particular, this Post of Stan's - https://www.linux.org/threads/debian-live-usb.17921/#post-54228

If you have not changed that since, then you have a Debian stick with Persistence, which saves your changes and saves your Settings, but it is not a full install and will not show up on a Grub.

Can you give us a screenshot of GParted, showing the partitions available?

Wizard

I still have problems understanding what you want to do. Can you give us more informations about what you are trying to do ?

I still have problems understanding what you want to do.
I want to boot debian without using the grub on my Ubuntu instllation.
If I pull just my debian installation in my computer it’s not shown in the boot menu.
But htis just happens on newer computers, I can boot debian without problems o my older labtop.

Are you using a different mode on the new one (bios vs uefi) ? is secure boot disabled?

G'day all :)

Peer
  1. Switch it to Secure Boot Disabled and report any changes, you can leave it like that for now.
  2. Is the Ubuntu stick also a full install, or is it just a Live Ubuntu with, say 4GB of Persistence, or Other?
Cheers

Wizard

I understand what is happening now, so hold off on making any further changes and I will be back with a summary of where we are at and some options to follow - working on another computer for now.

Cheers :)

Wizard

Members online