Debian 12 (Bookworm)

That's Saturday. What time? :)
Which download sites will not be overwhelmed?

P.S. I suspect that attackers have already prepared infected versions of the release.
-> Be sure to check the integrity of Debian 12 files that you download, especially in the early days. This is no different than anything you download. Always check.

That's Saturday. What time? :)
Which download sites will not be overwhelmed?

P.S. I suspect that attackers have already prepared infected versions of the release.
-> Be sure to check the integrity of Debian 12 files that you download, especially in the early days. This is no different than anything you download. Always check.
I don't know the timing or the site you want to use where your at. :(

Now I'm afraid to update the copy I've had (not R.C., not "DI-Alpha") since mid-December, with XFCE. :O

I haven't been satisfied with Wine v8 in general, not even from Arch Linux. Otherwise I decided to install Spiral Linux with GNOME and Cinnamon, and bring them up to "Bookworm" status instead of trying to get Debian in this way. Because Debian GNOME in particular comes with a lot of junk I don't want. Debian MATE also with a bunch of language packs and that "fctix" setup that I think should be allowed globally disabled. Why can't they install things based on what is asked from the user by the Debian Installer? It asks the user for system language and keyboard, right? So it should install only the language packs related to that. Spiral gives the user the option to install additional language packs for any D.E.

Another strange thing that I just observed is that Debian MATE comes with GIMP, while on XFCE it has to be installed. I don't get it with this 30-year-old organization fighting to survive LOL.

I have been unable to install Debian for the most part last year until Spiral appeared in late September. The Installer refused to go past the bootloader setup for me. But one day I broke through. I wasn't ready to keep it. But now I have the v11.7 install-only ISO without non-free firmware released on 29-April-2023, will keep it forever. I don't mind using the yellow cable in this case. Made three installations with XFCE, one with KDE (Spiral is superior here though), one with MATE and another one with GNOME Flashback, wanted to know what the latter was.

EDIT: The "sudo apt full-upgrade" on Spiral GNOME to "Bookworm" gave me GNOME v43. I don't know if it's alike right now for ordinary Debian. So that might help decide some people who would like the latest of that D.E.

I wonder now what will happen to Spiral Linux. Will GeckoLinux come up with new ISO's up to "Bookworm"?

EDIT: The "sudo apt full-upgrade" on Spiral GNOME to "Bookworm" gave me GNOME v43. I don't know if it's alike right now for ordinary Debian. So that might help decide some people who would like the latest of that D.E.

I wonder now what will happen to Spiral Linux. Will GeckoLinux come up with new ISO's up to "Bookworm"?

Debian 12 will ship with gnome 43.3 I believe. 44 came out too late in the game to be included in this one. Debian has never been cutting edge. and will never be. So if you need the newest packages you'll have to go with Debian sid or other distro.

Whenever it comes to updating Debian to a newer release, I usually hold off for a week or two. Sometimes around the release date, the repos aren’t always tagged properly. Plus there’s the risk of last minute bugs. So holding off for a short while allows time for any serious problems to be fixed before I update.

I’ve never had any problems updating Debian from one major version to the next.
The only times I’ve had to do re-installs has been the couple of times when my hard drive has died. Most recently, a few weeks ago, when I replaced a dead HDD with an SSD.

Also, rather than tracking a particular Debian version’s code-name in apt, I usually set apt to track ‘stable’ or ‘testing’.

Since version 4, I always used to track the ‘testing’ repositories because they had newer versions of everything than ‘stable’ did. But I really liked Debian 10 when it was in the ‘testing’ branch. So when Debian 10 was released as ‘stable’, I switched over to track ‘stable’ and have tracked it ever since.

Tracking Debian like that, it becomes kinda semi-rolling. Much easier than having to do a fresh install each time!

Is there any downside when I keep my Debian Servers with debian bullseye?

Is there any downside when I keep my Debian Servers with debian bullseye?
They say that after the release of bookworm another team will take over the maintenance of bullseye until 2026, they say they are just as good, so no, there are no down sides in keeping Debian 11 until some time in 2026

They say that after the release of bookworm another team will take over the maintenance of bullseye until 2026, they say they are just as good, so no, there are no down sides in keeping Debian 11 until some time in 2026
Thanks mate!

Mmmm I would hold off for a while on this release had strange issues with root with this release - stick with Bullseye till this has matured a bit.

i have to pull myself together not to immediently install debian on my desktop right away and stick with my installation. I am quite happy with my Desktop but the curiosity is there

Over at Peppermint we will drop somewhere around July.
We did run across this though:
So far our nightly builds have been ok, our testers have not found any significant breaking issues

@pepdebian - I used to struggle for a couple of years to get wifi with Debian, before I learned (from a Member here) of the non-free version, which worked for me out of the box.

I notice from their site here

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

that
UPDATE 19 Feb 2023: As of the bookworm d-i alpha 2 release, firmware is included in the normal Debian installer images. USERS WILL NO LONGER NEED TO LOOK FOR SPECIAL VERSIONS HERE.

Have your folks found that to work OK?

Cheers

Wizard

So far things seem to be okay, we do still explicitly, pull in additional firmware based on the feedback we get from the community,
The ARM spins we been building have been okay as well.
The server spins, generally seem to be okay.

;)

Cheers, Mate - I'll be looking forward to your new product as well.

Avagudweegend ;)

Chris

Been using Debian Bookworm 12 for a couple weeks now it works great here. And yes, Chris it now comes with non-free firmware and drivers for most devices. So works out of the box for me. There are those who of course decry the move but in the long run it will make Debian more appealing to the newbies and oldies alike :)

It should be officially released tomorrow at some point. But as others have said you may want to wait a bit to download it and install so the kinks can be worked out first.

Why does this release feel so different? I never cared before, but for some reason, this Debian release has grabbed my attention and there seems to be a lot more interest than before. I'll try it as a desktop in a virtual machine to see if I like it, and try it on a non-critical hobby server on the internet.

Why does this release feel so different? I never cared before, but for some reason, this Debian release has grabbed my attention and there seems to be a lot more interest than before. I'll try it as a desktop in a virtual machine to see if I like it, and try it on a non-critical hobby server on the internet.
Best way to see if it fits your needs, try it out. :)

Members online