(Deal)A New Member(noob) ASKING USEFUL Suggestion about USE Ubuntu or Other "GNU/Linux" like mint or debain

Aeron.Atlantis

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new here and asking this question is not to starting a war in this community or anywhere.................There's no need to fight other good person who is also useing a Linux distribution.

Just because snap really really make me confuse so that I have to make a choice: Choose a really GNU/Linux for why I use linux.(I do knows It's not a systemed. I mean any Linux distribution.)
I'm a college student from China. (Yes! Mainland! But I'm kind and From full tolerance, to accept diverse viewpoints.)
I'm starting use Linux just these days.(3 days maybe? ) Because one of my classmate is using arch Linux. And he's telling me something like Linux. So I decide to use both windows 10(Yeh,I don't like win11) and a Linux distribution.

BUT, I noticed that ubuntu has a snap store(Ubuntu 21.10, is Ubuntu software, BUT WE KNOW IT'S SNAP).
And I starting search it in google.co, and some search engine in China domestic. My English is so poor and I'm learning it.
So even a noob could knows these thing what Canonical have done.

Like this: one of discuesstion one of other disscuesstion

So I asked myself, is ubuntu really the one I want? No............But for now I have to.......

The main reason is I'm a noob, and start learning programme.... And I love it. ( AI is a college major of mine. My major in the school has only been established for 2 years, and teaches anything, all of it is old technology................. )
(I used to learned C for half years by a book "C primer plus 6th edition"(cn) )

I devloped in my win10 vscode. But I wanna try and willing try it in Linux............And as I said I'm a noob with Devlop and English and etc.

Ubuntu has something good for a noob or starter, and snap is also good for just start, just like something do also has something good. But in fact, just since 2014 snap appeared to now what it is, It's against why people choose Linux for freedom.

So I wanna quit and uninstall my ubuntu.... But for just starter being a member of Linux community from windows, everything is so hard. I don't know anything and learns many thing from these days...

My question is like this post title. and the reason why I felt confuse is above on. So may I wait and still use ubuntu for a period of time while I was a starter until things getting never back and being so bad.

I'm sure it must be spend years, and I'll be a programmar when that comes.But for now, should I paid the prise with enslaved and controlled to a certain extent just for a certain of easy (Like when I was a starter)?

If I need to being a baby, I'd rather use win10 but not Ubuntu Snap...It really go against why I choose Linux distribution.

What are you even talking about?

G'day Aeron.Atlantis, Welcome to Linux.org

I'd rather use win10 but not Ubuntu Snap...It really go against why I choose Linux distribution.
Tell us why you did choose Linux

Use a translator if you need to....google or deepl both have translators

Last edited:
Welcome to the Linux.org forums, from what I gather reading your post, you are unsure of using Ubuntu because it has Snaps,
Conical developed Snaps to be a one click installer of Linux applications along with their dependencies [to complete with Windows Android and apple] if you would prefer a less commercial package manager, then look for one that uses Packman [such as arch] or dpkg package manager, [used by most Debian based distributions]
Whichever distribution of Linux to choose, all can be used to learn programming and most will work [if you progress far enough] with security testing tools,

Welcome to the Linux.org forums, from what I gather reading your post, you are unsure of using Ubuntu because it has Snaps,
Conical developed Snaps to be a one click installer of Linux applications along with their dependencies [to complete with Windows Android and apple] if you would prefer a less commercial package manager, then look for one that uses Packman [such as arch] or dpkg package manager, [used by most Debian based distributions]
Whichever distribution of Linux to choose, all can be used to learn programming and most will work [if you progress far enough] with security testing tools,
I'm thinking about arch or linux mint. I have tried installing linux mint on a usb device and joined their community.
But now there are so many new things to learn that I can't get used to it all of a sudden. Ubuntu's snap store is really convenient to use, but it's not the linux I want.

Thanks for your help, I have tried installing linux mint on my usb device and am going to give it a try. Then try installing arch on my USB device.
But I have to take a good rest first, because the nvidia driver made me uninstall and reinstall the existing ubuntu for a long time.
I'm recording my attempts in a personal note and I feel like I should take a break.

Mint is Ubuntu based, but at the moment they do not include Snap but have retained Apt and Dpkg, of conical force their hands it is thought mint may move away from Ubuntu

if you see post #4 in this thread it may help guide your installation

I checked it just before. I never thought Chinese community could be useful before search my question on ubuntukylin. I found something different could try it again.
thank you.

Hello and Welcome to Linux.org Forums.
I use Mint most of the time because I do not like snap package management. No matter which Distro you choose you will have to learn it's package management system so don't get discouraged, just learn all you can. Linux is not easy at first but once you learn the basics you will learn fast. If you want to use Ubuntu you do not have to use snaps you can use the .deb packages instead. But you may find yourself more at home with a distro that does not use snap as a default like Mint or debian or even Deepin. Good luck and enjoy the learning.

Hello and Welcome to Linux.org Forums.
I use Mint most of the time because I do not like snap package management. No matter which Distro you choose you will have to learn it's package management system so don't get discouraged, just learn all you can. Linux is not easy at first but once you learn the basics you will learn fast. If you want to use Ubuntu you do not have to use snaps you can use the .deb packages instead. But you may find yourself more at home with a distro that does not use snap as a default like Mint or debian or even Deepin. Good luck and enjoy the learning.
great viewpoinrt and suggestion. I hope there are many , even more people that can suggestion and help others just like you d

Linux Mint is a very nice distro and there are some similar distributions too that you could try if you'd like. For example Zorin and Pop!_OS are other good distros you could have an eye on. However all of them are Ubuntu based and are similar in many aspects. but selecting Linux distor is highly dependent on your hardware. There are several choices of Linux for any hardware. I said it because if you have a low-end hardware, you could try other distors too to not get disappointed by Linux.

Linux Mint is a very nice distro and there are some similar distributions too that you could try if you'd like. For example Zorin and Pop!_OS are other good distros you could have an eye on. However all of them are Ubuntu based and are similar in many aspects. but selecting Linux distor is highly dependent on your hardware. There are several choices of Linux for any hardware. I said it because if you have a low-end hardware, you could try other distors too to not get disappointed by Linux.
It's been three weeks with use Linux mint.. And yep I got many troubles with it. But now Linuxt mint is running on my PC stable, and I learned many things from it.
Thank you for sharing me new things. I decide to use Linux mint for a period of days until I need to change. But thank you for your kind heart.

Members online

Latest posts