Dead keys don't work as expected

nickreserved

Reaction score
Credits
I remember this issue lots of years in Debian and Debian based distros. I never check Slackware or Fedora based distros.
I ask this again and again at least the last 5-7 years without a single answer(!).

System:
Code:
uname -a
gives
Code:
Linux debian 5.10.0-19-amd64 ....
We are on clear console. No X nor Wayland installed at all.
OR there is a full Desktop environment installed, but we press Alt-Ctrl-F1 and we go to virtual console.

There are 2 keyboard layouts: en,gr and we change the keyboard layout with Alt-Shift.
We are in Greek keyboard layout.
From Google research I found that other people using keyboard layouts of other languages have the same problem.

What anyone expects and what really happens in Desktop Environment:
When press (dead) key ";" (="`" in Greek) nothing happens.
When press key "a" (="α" in Greek) we get the altered "α" character which is "ά".
See this link for "Greek" http://kbdlayout.info/features/deadkeys

What noone expects and what really happens in console (Alt-Ctrl-F1):
When press (dead) key ";" (="`" in Greek) nothing happens. This is the correct behavior.
When press key "a" (="α" in Greek) we get 2 characters "'α" (it is "'" and "α").

Of course, if I press on console Alt+0940 I get the correct character "ά".

What really want:
I want to work in console mode.
I want, what I said before "What anyone expects".

Another questions to reach what really want:
- Is this Debian specific, Kernel specific or something else?
- Is there a well documented pipeline from key press (scan code) through key combinations and keyboard layouts, to character printed in console? Is this kernel stuff or something else? What are all of the configuration files? What programs engaged and in what stage?
- What happens with the desktop environments and all work fine? Is there another pipeline for X/Wayland or for desktop environments? What is that pipeline? Is well documented? Why it is different from the console pipeline? Where are all of the configuration files? What programs engaged and in what stage?

Irony:
When I was a kid, I programmed a TSR program for DOS in Assembly, which fully and correctly supported the Greek keyboard layout. I did this in 1995. Today is almost 2023 and on console, the same thing doesn't work properly. But a linux system is very complicated to contribute and my time is not infinite like when i was a child.

I have no easy way to take a picture of it, but I pressed the magic buttons and got to TTY3. I then typed in a manner such as this:

sJiYmYo.png

Except it was in a TTY. It worked just fine? I'm actually using Linux Mint today. So, it's in the Debian family.

Am I misreading your question?

I have no help for you, but the keyboard layout is English (Intl with AltGr dead keys).

In my case, I press and hold AltGr (right control, on many keyboards) and then press other letters to get the desired result. It's the same way I do it in a GUI - and it worked in TTY just fine.

äåéëþüúíóö (etc)

Thanks for your reply! I never check this on Linux Mind.

Are you on clear console? Because I see a menu above your console and a window title. So, it seems that you are inside a Desktop Enviroment where all works fine. I talk about a clear console.
Άτιτλο.png

There is no AltGr for Greek keyboard layout. Just a dead key (; = ') before the character (α) to get (ά) or a dead key (Shift-; = ¨) before character (ι) to get (ϊ) or 2 dead keys (; Shift-; = ΅) before character (υ) to get (ΰ).

I did this:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Then I select:
- Generic 105-key PC (intl.)
- Ελληνικό (Greek?)
- Alt-Shift
- Μη διαθέσιμη προσωρινή αλλαγή (Not available temporary change?)
- Μη διαθέσιμο πλήκτρο AltGr (Not available key AltGr?)
- Μη διαθέσιμο πλήκτρο σύνθεσης (Compose) (Not available compose key (Compose)?)

Is something of the above wrong?

Are you on clear console? Because I see a menu above your console and a window title. So, it seems that you are inside a Desktop Enviroment where all works fine. I talk about a clear console.

Yes, I tried it in TTY. The image I showed was just an example as it's not realistic to take a screenshot of TTY (or at least I'm not sure how to do so).

As I said, I don't really have an answer - I'm just trying to help by pointing out that it can/should work as intended. So, this way you know it's not everyone with alternative keyboard layouts. That gives you some info if case someone tries to say that your results are the expected results.

And, yeah, I use the right alt key and can also use the shift key with that to access more characters.

What happens if you try typing while holding the right alt key down? How about the left alt key - which Windows uses as far as I recall?

Again, I don't really have an answer - but you can try those things. Press and hold the right alt key and try typing.

Nice. It doesn't even look like it was terribly complicated to fix.

Members online

Latest posts