De-frag hard drive?

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
Greetings everyone,
Seeing that I was a Windows guy for lots of years, de-fragging the hard-drive every so often was recommended.
Since coming to Linux, I have not seen anything at all about de-fragging.
Am I coming to the right conclusion that there is no need to de-frag; and is this because of the way the file system is set up?
Thanks from the old geezer
TC

Condobloke

Credits
Running Linux Mint 18.3 for 5 years ....spaced across 3 hard drives....haven't defragged one of them in that time, and have no need to do so.

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
Thanks for the responses guys. That confirms my guesses.
I get a kick out of trying to figure stuff out. Looking back on my life, that seems to be the way I have always been. It's the way I have learned how to operate the cp. {start pushing buttons and see what happens} The biggest problem with that is remembering which buttons I pushed to get the result I got! LOL.
Old Geezer
TC

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits

Condobloke

Credits
Somewhat likewise here.....(remembering what I typed to achieve a particular result).....

I had to go back to a topic dated May, 2018 to remind myself how to "trim" a SSD !!!!

Haven't done it for a while...it took care of 3.8 GB !!

(This only applies to Solid State Drives)

samK

Credits
When your hard disk reads the file, its heads must skip around between different physical locations on the hard drive to read each chunk of sectors — this slows things down. Defragmenting is an intensive process that moves the bits of files around to reduce fragmentation, ensuring each file is contiguous on the drive

captain-sensible

Credits
Thanks for the responses guys. That confirms my guesses.
I get a kick out of trying to figure stuff out. Looking back on my life, that seems to be the way I have always been. It's the way I have learned how to operate the cp. {start pushing buttons and see what happens} The biggest problem with that is remembering which buttons I pushed to get the result I got! LOL.
Old Geezer
TC
me 2 ; i write everything down

Members online