DAW's on linux

Kappio

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there! I'm kindda new to linux and i'm tryng to leave windows behind. As one of the main uses I give my computer is music creation, I wanted to know if anyone had experiencies with DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation). I usually use REAPER, FRUITY LOOPS and/or ABLETON. Do you guys think it's possible for me to switch to linux? I'm also running a Focusrite 2i4 Sound Interface, which usually needs it's drivers in order to work.

Oh i forgot, which linux distribution do you recommend for me?

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

G'day @Kappio and welcome to linux.org :)

A brief Google search under keywords

linux distro making music

showed me first this one

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-linux-distros-designed-artists-musicians-editors/

It's 2020 current.

I am not a muzo myself, but a friend from another forum used to swear by Ubuntu Studio, and he played keyboards in a music combo.

Another option is to make friends with AlternativeTo.net

If you for example type in

alternative to fruity loops

in your search engine, you will find a number of choices there, look for the ones marked Linux.

You will find, too, that there is a Reaper for Linux.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Damn it. Sorry for being lazy, and thank you again.
Apology accepted !!!......you can definitely stay, Kappio !!!!

Meet my fellow Aussie Brian @Condobloke - cutest thing about him is his dog Belle ;)

Actually, if you come back here to this Thread sometime with feedback about how you go, we can add it to our knowledge base.

Cheers

Wiz

I hope you'll come back and let us know how you get on. I'm in a similar ish position to you. Once I get my Linux machine running I'll be investigating Reaper which I've used previously on 'another' operating system. I also have a Focusrite 2i4 so would be very interested to hear how that works in Linux.

For recording demo ideas for my bands, I used to use Ardour, with Hydrogen for quickly programming drum ideas, JACK for routing audio and midi between various bits of hardware and software, a few free synths, a few Jack plugins and other JACK aware software like Guitarix (virtual guitar amp), a number of VST plugins (but only native Linux plugins, no windows plugins with wine - they tend to crash!). I have a digidesign/protools mbox2 audio interface for recording anything via a direct input (Guitar/bass) , or via a microphone (vocal’s, guitar,bass etc).

The Mbox works out of the box, which was a surprise. The kernel already has drivers for it!!
And I had a usb midi interface that I used to use for other MIDI devices (like my electronic drum kit). But I think I lent that interface to somebody and never got it back?!!

That was on my old laptop though. I haven’t got around to setting it all up on my current one. I’ve been meaning to for a while, but just haven’t got around to it yet!

But it was a handy little a set up. Ardour is an extremely capable DAW.

Members online

Latest posts