Darn. Succeeded in reformatting the usb and installing Zorin lite, but it is still acting up (SOLVED)

heretical_1

Reaction score
Credits
I put Zorin core onto my puter this weekend, and it wouldn't scroll properly, takes a long time to load anything, and typing is a nightmare. Cursor moves haltingly, causing misspelled words, missed letters, and long wait times for it to catch up to what I have typed. Cannot find any info on the internet on how to solve this problem. But hey, at least I know how to reformat the usb and try again if necessary! Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance. Also, I am a newbie and not tech oriented. That will change as I get the opportunity to start reading some primers on linux, but for now take it easy on my with the tech-talk or terminal commands if possible. :)

I'm not sure if what you are describing is a bug in Zorin or it's your PC having performance issues.

Did you have these issues before installing Linux?

Not at all. I was using Zorin 14, loved it. Then somebody decided that they were going to get cute and "upgrade" something that I use, forcing me to then have to "upgrade" to Zorin 15. Instantly, the problems started.

Sometimes upgrades don't go well.
A fresh install should have solved that I'd think.

When I have more time I will see if there is a solution..., it's late.

I can try re-installing it again tomorrow night. Wondering if I should try the option to "install zorin and also modern nvidia"? I tried it once, and it gave me an error message, so I just "installed Zorin".

I can try re-installing it again tomorrow night. Wondering if I should try the option to "install zorin and also modern nvidia"? I tried it once, and it gave me an error message, so I just "installed Zorin".
By all means if you have a Nvidia GPU install modern Nvidia.:)

at the moment I have no clue exactly how to determine that, not used to the screens here, but will keep looking.

Open the terminal and run this...
lspci l grep -i VGA

The letter l after lspci should be the pipe key on your keyboard.

russell@NE56R:~$ lspci l grep -i VGA
Usage: lspci [<switches>]

Basic display modes:
-mm Produce machine-readable output (single -m for an obsolete format)
-t Show bus tree

Display options:
-v Be verbose (-vv for very verbose)
-k Show kernel drivers handling each device
-x Show hex-dump of the standard part of the config space
-xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)
-xxxx Show hex-dump of the 4096-byte extended config space (root only)
-b Bus-centric view (addresses and IRQ's as seen by the bus)
-D Always show domain numbers

Resolving of device ID's to names:
-n Show numeric ID's
-nn Show both textual and numeric ID's (names & numbers)
-q Query the PCI ID database for unknown ID's via DNS
-qq As above, but re-query locally cached entries
-Q Query the PCI ID database for all ID's via DNS

Selection of devices:
-s [[[[<domain>]:]<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots
-d [<vendor>]:[<device>][:<class>] Show only devices with specified ID's

Other options:
-i <file> Use specified ID database instead of VGA
-p <file> Look up kernel modules in a given file instead of default modules.pcimap
-M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)

PCI access options:
-A <method> Use the specified PCI access method (see `-A help' for a list)
-O <par>=<val> Set PCI access parameter (see `-O help' for a list)
-G Enable PCI access debugging
-H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)
-F <file> Read PCI configuration dump from a given file
russell@NE56R:~$

no idea what ispci is, but I just posted what came up when I ran that command.

russell@NE56R:~$ lspci l grep -i VGA
Usage: lspci [<switches>]

Basic display modes:
-mm Produce machine-readable output (single -m for an obsolete format)
-t Show bus tree

Display options:
-v Be verbose (-vv for very verbose)
-k Show kernel drivers handling each device
-x Show hex-dump of the standard part of the config space
-xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)
-xxxx Show hex-dump of the 4096-byte extended config space (root only)
-b Bus-centric view (addresses and IRQ's as seen by the bus)
-D Always show domain numbers

Resolving of device ID's to names:
-n Show numeric ID's
-nn Show both textual and numeric ID's (names & numbers)
-q Query the PCI ID database for unknown ID's via DNS
-qq As above, but re-query locally cached entries
-Q Query the PCI ID database for all ID's via DNS

Selection of devices:
-s [[[[<domain>]:]<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots
-d [<vendor>]:[<device>][:<class>] Show only devices with specified ID's

Other options:
-i <file> Use specified ID database instead of VGA
-p <file> Look up kernel modules in a given file instead of default modules.pcimap
-M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)

PCI access options:
-A <method> Use the specified PCI access method (see `-A help' for a list)
-O <par>=<val> Set PCI access parameter (see `-O help' for a list)
-G Enable PCI access debugging
-H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)
-F <file> Read PCI configuration dump from a given file
russell@NE56R:~$
Just run lspci by itself.

Open your terminal and type lspci and hit the Enter key.

What does it return?

russell@NE56R:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM70 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
02:00.1 SD Host controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 SDXC/MMC Card Reader (rev 10)
02:00.2 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 MS Card Reader (rev 10)
02:00.3 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 xD-Picture Card Reader (rev 10)
03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

had to do it as a copy and paste to make sure I got it right. :)

ah. Ok, I will try tomorrow to do some research to see how that is done and hopefully not need to keep bothering folks here for spoonfeeding (I hate being a leech!). You have a great night, and thank you!