Dark themes for the forum

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
The new design looks better than the old one but it would be great, if you could add dark themes cuz all that white is killing my eyes. That's why on all other forums I use dark themes.
In the summer I never leave home without my sunglasses - if a white vehicle passes by me, that's death for my eyes and the feeling in my head is as if I was hit by a truck. Staying on this forum for more than 5 minutes causes exactly the same feeling, that's why I stopped posting stuff at some point.

I use Firefox and have a addon called Dark Night Mode. It turns Dark Mode on for all sites and can easily turn it off if a site doesn't work right. Check it out. Linux.org's Bright White background hasn't bothered me in months :)

I just quickly created a 'dark default' style.. if you go to the bottom/left of the site, click on 'Default Style' which opens up a style chooser. Then, click on 'default dark'.. switch back to 'default style' to get back to the bright one :)

I just quickly created a 'dark default' style.. if you go to the bottom/left of the site, click on 'Default Style' which opens up a style chooser. Then, click on 'default dark'.. switch back to 'default style' to get back to the bright one :)
Thank you, Rob, the theme is great! Really - thanks a lot! It's perfect! :D

I use Firefox and have a addon called Dark Night Mode. It turns Dark Mode on for all sites and can easily turn it off if a site doesn't work right. Check it out. Linux.org's Bright White background hasn't bothered me in months :)

I'll check that addon but still the fact that Rob made a dark theme for me means a lot to me - I haven't seen this kind of support anywhere else, not even on other linux forums!

Edit:
@Rob , IDK whether you're still editing stuff on the dark theme but I noticed something I thought you should know about. It's not a big deal, I can live with it but it just looks weird: my whole signature appears with a strange color. The text part (my PC config) should appear in silver color, just like the regular text. But it doesn't. Instead it appears as bright blue color. The last line of my signature is a link to all of the useful linux programs and things I have ever found. So, it being a link should appear as dark blue color. Seeing my nickname to the left appearing as dark blue color I know that's a link.
I checked the BBCode of my whole signature and there's no visible reason for it to appear with that color. And if you check the third screenshot, you'll see that when viewing my signature in the "what you see is what you get" editor, there's a second color which is the same for both text and link.

Last edited:
The text part (my PC config) should appear in silver color, just like the regular text. But it doesn't. Instead it appears as bright blue color. The last line of my signature is a link to all of the useful linux programs and things I have ever found. So, it being a link should appear as dark blue color. Seeing my nickname to the left appearing as dark blue color I know that's a link.

Maybe @Rob fixed it already? It appears just as you describe. Or do you have other filters or browser extensions also at play?

Cheers

@Rob , IDK whether you're still editing stuff on the dark theme but I noticed something I thought you should know about. It's not a big deal, I can live with it but it just looks weird: my whole signature appears with a strange color.

Hmm.. I haven't changed it since yesterday.. i'll take a look today though and see what i can see.

I'm not adding this because I don't appreciate Rob's modification, because I think it's great that he did. I"m adding this because some of you may want this for other/all other sites. The Dark Night Mode addon is a single addon needed to have the exact same affect that Rob's mod does, on all sites. It also allows you to whitelist sites so that it doesn't turn on for them. I've tried the dark background light text addons before and didn't like them. This one is great, check it out.

Sounds like magic! Must be that @wizardfromoz fellow! :cool::D

I heard that :mad:

Not me.

WOW on the dark theme @Rob ... I have just changed to it.

Makes it good for after I've had a few beers.

Wiz

I take where you are coming from (it is available in our Profiles, and also in Members)

Just be aware that Rob has changed the "Likes" to "Reactions", which can also include a couple of other things, including my humorous frown above. :D

Wiz

Members online