Cygwin + Rancid

W

wkameleon

Hello,

This is my frist time using Linux. Actually not Linux but Cygwin. I have to only install Rancid for making backups of my routers and switches. I have one Windows server and I cannot reinstall it with Linux so I guess Cygwin is a solution.

I've found http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/...h1_:_Network_Backups_With_Rancid#.UlPMixCqtdg tutorial but it's dedicated for Fedora. I've tried that one in I cannot even do the first step because

rpm -q expect
-sh: rpm: is not found

the same with next steps. What should I do to activate those commands?

Then I've tried to jump to step 4 but I wasn't permitted to make directory and wget command also weren't found.

I guess it's all about learning Linux. But it is the only time when I have to use it.
Please help me

Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the relevance of this here.

Linux.org. Cygwin?

Cygwin is:

A collection of tools which provide a Linux look and feel environment for Windows

a DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.

Cygwin is not:

a way to run native Linux apps on Windows. You must rebuild your application from source if you want it to run on Windows.

a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX® functionality like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your apps from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.

And you are following instructions meant for Fedora Linux?

I have one Windows server and I cannot reinstall it with Linux s
Why not? What version of Linux did you have installed?

You might be better to ask your question of Windows experts...

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the relevance of this here.

Linux.org. Cygwin?

And you are following instructions meant for Fedora Linux?

OK, I understand that my post could annoy you. I will explain all of that. First of all, if you want run RANCID, you have to compile sources. I guess if you compile sources in Cygwin, they''ll be built for that environment.

I followed instructions meant for Fedora because I cannot find anything else in the internet. The only one was post in some place that you do can run rancid on Cygwin. But nothing else.

Why not? What version of Linux did you have installed?
You might be better to ask your question of Windows experts...

Because that server isn't mine exclusively. There are many services running on them and I have to use it to do backups. So I have to use Windows. And the only way to backup configuration from network devices is run RANCID which is for Linux.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts