Current state of linux distributions

Y

Yesyesloud

Sup pals, long time no post...

As I'm finally on holidays I'd like to explore one of my favorite topics: linux distros. I know there's plenty of info available online, but it's more fun (and often more valuable) to gather personal experiences.

Ok, I've been using Debian stable for the past year. I really miss Arch but I had to run a more stable distro on my productivity pcs, since I didn't have the time to deal with those problems that could eventually come up.

So, how about you? What have you been using? Any great distro advice?

Also... Is there any less known/popular distro worth giving a try? The last one I could mess around with was Porteus (great slackware based OS).

Nice that linux.org is back btw :D

I am currently on Ubuntu 16.04, wanting to switch to Debian stable I tried it but could not discover how to get my four monitors running. Only would allow two.

What do you miss about Arch?

I ran openSuse first in KDE then in Xfce. I didn't like yast because it was too easy to break the OS inadvertently. openSuse has excellent support though. I then went with Manjaro which was a mistake because the support is so horrible from the Manjaro developers that it's like having no support at all. The Manjaro developers are obnoxious and refuse to fix issues like ROM drive doesn't work, Insert a USB Thumb drive and nothing happens, WiFi doesn't work, ect. I had to get support from other forums. The other thing is security updates from Manjaro are a week old or older. I went to MX-16 which I use exclusively. When I installed MX-16 everything got set up automatically and everything worked. MX-16 has been solid as a rock. MX-16 support is excellent. I haven't needed to use the terminal except for enabling the firewall permanently since that can't be done using the GUI which is an issue with all Linux dristros.

I am currently on Ubuntu 16.04, wanting to switch to Debian stable I tried it but could not discover how to get my four monitors running. Only would allow two.
How about loading proprietary video drivers on Debian, have you tried that already?

I find "mother" Debian better than Ubuntu overall, it's unfortunate that you experienced such issue :/

What do you miss about Arch?
Systemctl, Pacman and that feeling the OS is running really smooth :D

I ran openSuse first in KDE then in Xfce. I didn't like yast because it was too easy to break the OS inadvertently. openSuse has excellent support though. I then went with Manjaro which was a mistake because the support is so horrible from the Manjaro developers that it's like having no support at all. The Manjaro developers are obnoxious and refuse to fix issues like ROM drive doesn't work, Insert a USB Thumb drive and nothing happens, WiFi doesn't work, ect. I had to get support from other forums. The other thing is security updates from Manjaro are a week old or older. I went to MX-16 which I use exclusively. When I installed MX-16 everything got set up automatically and everything worked. MX-16 has been solid as a rock. MX-16 support is excellent. I haven't needed to use the terminal except for enabling the firewall permanently since that can't be done using the GUI which is an issue with all Linux dristros.
Manjaro worked really well when I tried it out on my AMD laptop. I don't usually seek support though, I tend to fix issues on my own. Manjaro offers specialized tools to install proprietary drivers/firmware, not the easiest thing to use but not so difficult either.

My wife's intel laptop has terrible broadcom wifi so it needed some fixing, but it was rather easy getting it to work with Manjaro compared with a clean Arch install (don't take me wrong, Arch purists, your OS is better than anything based on it).

Hey, I'll give MX-16 a ride, seems promising. Thanks for the hint.

I switched from Linux Mint to Linux Lite about a year ago, or maybe a bit longer. Both are very easy to use and great for beginners, but of course they come with all the "added stuff" that I think most Arch users would skip over. I installed Linux Lite for a couple of my aunts, one in her mid-70's and the other in her early-80's, and both of them seem to be doing just fine with it (so well that they have lost the urge to buy a new computer because of all the problems they were having with Windows).

Cheers!

How about loading proprietary video drivers on Debian, have you tried that already?

No, I was getting a double hip replacement and I 'thought' I would try Debian later after all this. I did not even 'think' of that lol silly of me, I will once I am healed thanks

I switched from Linux Mint to Linux Lite about a year ago, or maybe a bit longer. Both are very easy to use and great for beginners, but of course they come with all the "added stuff" that I think most Arch users would skip over. I installed Linux Lite for a couple of my aunts, one in her mid-70's and the other in her early-80's, and both of them seem to be doing just fine with it (so well that they have lost the urge to buy a new computer because of all the problems they were having with Windows).

Cheers!

Hey, we share similar stories regarding turning the elderly into Linux converts. It's at the very least interesting that they can use a different, faster OS without a hassle, just another proof that windows is not that "miracle" so many blinded fans insist on perpetuating.

As to Linux Lite, its iso being smaller than 1GB, seems much better than a vanilla install of Ubuntu. I had a really good initial experience with Ubuntu minimal (which Lite is based on), basically the very first distro I actually installed on my laptop hard drive. I sometimes consider going back to it... Nice memories :D I posted my custom desktop on another thread at the time:

Ubuntu minimal running openbox with a custom lxpanel. Wallpaper made in gimp...
ySuvAxR.jpg
http://www.linux.org/posts/15315/

Staff online