Crowdstrike on Linux

kmand

Reaction score
Credits
Is anyone running this security product, especially on Ubuntu servers, and can comment on their experience? Our central IT organization wants us to run it on the servers in our department datacenter, and I'm wary about introducing proprietary software that runs as root and reports to others.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Never heard of the product, you will be better of getting an opinion else where since most of the users here are desktop users.

OP
K

kmand

Reaction score
Credits
Where are university,
I will add that if it comes down from corporate, you probably don't really have any choice in the matter - assuming you wish to keep working there.

We are a CS department in a University, so a little looser than in a more corporate environment.

Last edited:

whitehat007

Reaction score
Credits
Is anyone running this security product, especially on Ubuntu servers, and can comment on their experience? Our central IT organization wants us to run it on the servers in our department datacenter, and I'm wary about introducing proprietary software that runs as root and reports to others.
run clamapp o:)

dcbrown73

Reaction score
Credits
CrowdStrike is a EDR solution (End-Point Detection and Response) which is basically a Next Generation Anti-Virus Solution. While CrowdStrike doesn't explicitly have an Anti-Virus solution, it does have a HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) which is very good.

CrowdStrike makes a very good solution, though I went with a competitor who is near the same standing, but substantially lower priced. Not to mention the other solution actually does also have built-in Anti-Virus scanning.

You do not have anything to worry about by installing CrowdStrike. Your system will actually be more secure by using it. Not less secure.

LorenDB

Reaction score
Credits
I can confirm that it works, since I have it on my work PC (openSUSE Tumbleweed).

(Yes, I realize that this is an older thread, but thought I'd add my $0.02 since this thread was recently active.)

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online