Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating Automatic Tasks

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by kiran, Apr 25, 2017.

1. kiran

kiran New Member

I want to create a task that opens some apps automatically when I log in to my PC every time. How can I accomplish this??

2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey there kiran,

Are you looking to start programs when you log into your GUI? Or run some scripts automatically when you log in via terminal/ssh?

Welcome to the forum!

Rob

3. kiran

kiran New Member

I want to the task to be started when I switch on the computer, press the power button, enter the password and log-in to my system

4. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

There are ways to set this up.. upon boot by putting something like this in cron:
    Code:
    @reboot /path/to/task
    If you're logging in via ssh and want something to run automatically, you can put a line in your .bash_profile file in your home directory...

If you're logging in via a GUI like Unity, XFCE, Gnome, etc.. they should each have ways to accomplish this as well.

I'm thinking you mean when you log into your desktop graphical session.. which window manager are you using? For example, the default w/ Ubuntu is Unity (for the time being)

5. kiran

kiran New Member

I am using gnome

6. Cybercraft

Cybercraft New Member

For gnome, you must install 'gnome-tweak-tools' and, after relaunch, in gnome-tweak-tools, in tab 'Startup application's, add you scripts/applications (cfr: image in french :( because i'm french)

Capture du 2017-04-27 15-49-23.png

atanere and Rob like this.
  7. kiran

kiran New Member

Thank you, I will have a look