Create mini Linux servers using the Odroid C2

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
If you're into trying out various distributions or enjoy having various Linux 'servers' to ssh into and play around with, then you should get started with single-board computers. They're cheap, robust and fun.

This quick tutorial focuses on the Odroid c2. The features vastly outweigh what's available for the popular Raspberry Pi.

• Faster and cooler than Raspberry Pi 2/3
  • Fast IO
  • Great for NAS or Media Center
  • 2GHz Quad Core Cortex-A53 64 Bit ARMv8
  • 2GB DDR3
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • HDMI 2.0, 4K60
While you can hook up a monitor to them, I use them a bit differently.

odroids.gif

Odroid #1
  • Kali Linux
  • The main ssh target for my home network from the outside
  • Automation: automatically turns on and off several larger servers for Linux.org backups and such.
Odroid #2
  • Ubuntu
  • Monitoring: Smokeping - nice latency graphs to various servers (Linux.org, etc..)
  • Monitoring: Nagios - Most of you are familiar with nagios.. monitoring software for server health. It keeps an eye on my web projects like Linux.org
Odroid #3
  • Arch Linux
  • Mostly testing - also a local target for smokeping and nagios to help find network issues
Odroid #4
  • Ubuntu
  • Mostly testing as well as another local target
I also bought cases for mine and am using the micro-usb port for power, although they do have a regular power adapter plug if you like.

Future projects? I have #1 and #2 pretty well set and love what they do. I'll likely keep one for testing various things but am still figuring out what to use #4 for. What are you using your single-boards for?

You can purchase these lots of places, but Amazon seems to have the best shipping/deals on them.

The case shown there is from Ameridroid. They're also available on Amazon.

For more information on the Odroid line, visit the hardkernel site: http://www.hardkernel.com/

List of various distributions you can use: http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid-c2

Images and graphs:
c2.jpg c2-2.jpg c2-iperf.jpg c2-readwrite.jpg

Last edited:

Personally, I would go with the Pine64 instead of the C2. About the same specs for half the cost..even if the Arch builds are no longer available.

Reactions: Rob
I have a PINE A64+ and it no way comes close to the performance of the ODROID-C2 of which I have 3 deployed.
It is much quicker than the PINE A64+ just based on specs and it's even quicker if using an eMMC.
The PINE 64 also occupies a much larger footprint which precludes it's use in 3 of my projects where space is at a premium.

BTW - the ODROID-C2's maximum clock speed is 1.54GHz.
Changed from 2.0GHz on the hardkernel website after it was discovered.
A query was raised with Amlogic but nothing has so far been explained.

Members online