Create bootable USB app?

Vrai

Reaction score
Credits
I'm just curious to know if there are any preferred USB image writers for Linux.
I have used several different ones in the past but it has been a while since I last made a bootable USB stick.
Any opinions as to which app may work better?

I just downloaded the Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon .iso and flashed it to my 16Gig Sandisk Ultra USB using the "USB Image Writer" which is included with the Linux Mint 19.2 installed on my desktop. I'll test it out and see how it works. Did not format first. Just wrote the image.

Going to try a "test" run on the wife's laptop! (shush) :) https://www.linux.org/threads/a-bit-of-a-quandary.26527/

i just use dd to get iso onto usb.

i just used it as an experiment to back up anything that was on mbr

dd if=/dev/sda of=backup.mbr count=1 bs=512

Hi there @Vrai
I've been using the "USB Image Writer" for quite a while. First I format the stick with "USB Stick Formatter", which also is packaged with Linux Mint 19.3.
I have never had any problem with either of these programs. :)
I'm sure that once you try them, you will probably not go anywhere else.
Enjoy!!!
Old Geezer
TC

i just use dd to get iso onto usb.

i just used it as an experiment to back up anything that was on mbr

dd if=/dev/sda of=backup.mbr count=1 bs=512
Thanks Captain. I thought about using "dd". Ended up using "USB Image Writer" which is included with Linux Mint just to see how it worked (first time using it). Wish me luck! :)

Hi there @Vrai
I've been using the "USB Image Writer" for quite a while. First I format the stick with "USB Stick Formatter", which also is packaged with Linux Mint 19.3.
I have never had any problem with either of these programs. :)
I'm sure that once you try them, you will probably not go anywhere else.
Enjoy!!!
Old Geezer
TC
That's the one I used TC. First time trying it. I've used RUFUS, and Balena, and some others in the past.
Did not format first. I wondered if the USB Image Writer would format the drive as it went or if perhaps the drive would not need formatting. I am 'experimenting' to see what happens and the results!
The "Geek-Fu" is strong in this one :)

if you are going to get any os on usb make sure one of usb's has knoppix

Latest posts