Create an iso image from the existing fedora system, and make a bootable USB flash using that iso image.

Tarik_vut

Reaction score
Credits
I have installed linux fedora on my PC, I have done some changes in the system (disable gdm), and installed some apps.
I would like to create (an iso image from the existing system) or (clone this edited system) to USB flash, and be able to boot from the USB flash.
Please which tools are needed to do that?

You could make a backup of your system and then install fedora from a downloaded iso and than use the backup to get your apps/settings on the boot media.

Lord Boltar's way might put the apps/settings you have on it if thats what you are trying to do. But I dont know so might as well try his way first as if it works it would be faster.

You could make a backup of your system and then install fedora from a downloaded iso and than use the backup to get your apps/settings on the boot media.

Lord Boltar's way might put the apps/settings you have on it if thats what you are trying to do. But I dont know so might as well try his way first as if it works it would be faster.
Which tools are needed to do backup in fedora36

You could do this with a simple dd. The problem is... how big is your hard drive?
You can't put a 256GB hard drive image on a 32GB USB drive. You could start over and make your hard drive
partition a lot smaller.

Option #2. You can install and run off a USB drive, without even using a hard drive.

You could do this with a simple dd. The problem is... how big is your hard drive?
You can't put a 256GB hard drive image on a 32GB USB drive. You could start over and make your hard drive
partition a lot smaller.

Option #2. You can install and run off a USB drive, without even using a hard drive.
Actually, I have a 500 GB hard drive, but 11 GB is used. Can I use dd to push this 11 GB into 32 GB USB flash?
What does the command look likes?
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdX ........what else?

Link works here. You could consider using a fedora kickstart file which allows you to configure your own installation.
Thanks for your idea, but I don't know how to open the link, I get
Screenshot 2022-11-09 142947.png

Actually, I have a 500 GB hard drive, but 11 GB is used. Can I use dd to push this 11 GB into 32 GB USB flash?
What does the command look likes?
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdX ........what else?

In that case, it will make a 500GB image. dd isn't a "file copier", it's a file system duplicator. (dd = disk duplicator)
So you get all of it.

Since you have issues accessing Unixmen I will copy and paste the main points - First we need to Install the necessary software, so to create a live image, the livecd-creator tool is used. Super user privileges are needed. The tool is more or less self-documenting, use the –help option to see options.
Code:
yum install livecd-tools spin-kickstarts
yum install l10n-kickstarts
yum install fedora-kickstarts

Create a livecd directory

Code:
mkdir /root/livecd
Code:
cd /root/livecd

Copy the kickstart file you’ve chosen to the current directory.

Code:
cp /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-live-base.ks .
or
Code:
cp /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-live-mini.ks .
or Download it from Fedora website

Code:
wget https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/browser/fedora-live-minimization.ks
wget https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/browser/fedora-live-desktop.ks

Now to start creating the live cd enter the following command:

Code:
livecd-creator  --config=/root/fedora-live-minimization.ks  --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some errors on @Lord Boltar's instructions. In the 2nd code block, the "code tags" need to be removed from both lines, and also there is a space in the 2nd line /root/ livecd needs to be changed to /root/livecd without the space. This space error was on the Unixmen page.

The 3rd and 4th code blocks require a "space" and a "dot" at the end of each line so the file will copy to the current directory. Like this:
Code:
and
Code:

I don't know if that will help enough to make the instructions work correctly since @dos2unix had problems with this method. Anyway, good luck.

There are some errors on @Lord Boltar's instructions. In the 2nd code block, the "code tags" need to be removed from both lines, and also there is a space in the 2nd line /root/ livecd needs to be changed to /root/livecd without the space. This space error was on the Unixmen page.

The 3rd and 4th code blocks require a "space" and a "dot" at the end of each line so the file will copy to the current directory. Like this:
Code:
and
Code:

I don't know if that will help enough to make the instructions work correctly since @dos2unix had problems with this method. Anyway, good luck.
Think I got my post #12 fixed - thanks

No, the space in the 3rd code block was there from Unixmen, so not really your fault. But bash throws an error (too many arguments) if the space is left in. You still didn't correct that one.

Members online

Latest posts