create a distro or a Os from Scratch?

D

danilo.naid

I’m, working on a own OS, I want it to be like fedora, ubuntu, oscent, and so on. But I don’t know if im gonna create a distro or build from the kernel. the important is to get the source code, so i can develop the system, to be a more security OS. I dont know if a disto from suse studio can helping with that, So i would like advice, what you think is the best way to go, thanks for all answers.

I’m, working on a own OS, I want it to be like fedora, ubuntu, oscent, and so on. But I don’t know if im gonna create a distro or build from the kernel. the important is to get the source code, so i can develop the system, to be a more security OS. I dont know if a disto from suse studio can helping with that, So i would like advice, what you think is the best way to go, thanks for all answers.

Before you set out on this major piece of work, I would highly suggest that you look at DistroWatch and see if there is a Distro, that closely fits your needs, among all the hundreds listed. It is possible that choosing one and adding some additional packages, will work for you!

On the other hand:
I want it to be like fedora, ubuntu, oscent, and so on.
In that case you want it to be a Linux Distro! The best way to create a Linux Distro from scratch, is to create a "Linux From Scratch", http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/. I myself have never attempted this, but this would be the best place to start.

Good luck!

thanks, but if i choose a distro can i still change the name of the disto to my name? is that legal? so insted of maybe fedora i call it danilo can i do that? and add my needs to it? thanks for all your time:) i will check out the linux from scratch as well

thanks, but if i choose a distro can i still change the name of the disto to my name? is that legal? so insted of maybe fedora i call it danilo can i do that? and add my needs to it? thanks for all your time:) i will check out the linux from scratch as well
I don't think that would be legal. Actually, it may be, and probably legal, but most likely complicated. Each named Distro has added code, or other Intellectual Property to the system. Ubuntu was derived from Debian, as an example. I don't know any of the details on how it is done legally.

If you do need or want YOUR name on the Distro, I would highly recommend starting with Linux From Scratch. Even then, I would recommend that you add to your Distro's documentation somewhere that you started there, to give them credit. Check their EULA, (If any) or other legal requirements, (Also, if any). Plus the legal requirements for the Linux Kernel, and any packages you add to the system.

You might want to post your progress here so we can all see the process!

Good luck.

Last edited:
As far as the legality, as long as all of the software uses licenses like GPL, LGPL, WTFPL, CC0, and other similar licenses, you can name the distro whatever you like. Just make sure that no other product uses the name. Also, be sure to give credit where credit is due. For instance, have a README file that says something like "Danilo OS is based on Ubuntu and uses some code from Debian.......blah blah blah..... Danilo OS is licensed under GPL v3...... Be aware that SOME_COMPONENT is licensed under WTFPL....". You may want to research licensing and talk to @Darren Hale (the creator of AnitaOS)(http://www.linux.org/threads/anitao...eforge.net/projects/anitaos/?source=directory).

Also, you may find this reading guide helpful (http://www.linux.org/threads/linux-kernel-reading-guide.5384/). Understanding the Linux kernel can help you make better decisions in your design as well as give you understanding of what you are doing. Also, this reading guide may help you (http://www.linux.org/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-the-linux-system.6120/). True, I am sure you know a lot of the topics listed in the guide, but some of those articles may help you gain a deeper understanding of Linux. For instance, there are various bootloaders, desktop shells, GUIs, distro families, package managers, etc.

Thanks alot for all the answers, i will check everything, and keep you all update how it goes:)

Chapter 2
of this book describes how to create a new Linux native partition and file system. This is the place where the
new LFS system will be compiled and installed.

I dont understand were is that LFS system, is that some source codes i need to download somewere?

Chapter 2
of this book describes how to create a new Linux native partition and file system. This is the place where the
new LFS system will be compiled and installed.

I dont understand were is that LFS system, is that some source codes i need to download somewere?
I think your first step would be to read the book thoroughly before downloading or installing anything.

wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/ You can download a Live CD from here.

they say the live cd is not updated, and i cant find a download link.

they say the live cd is not updated, and i cant find a download link.
As I said, I have never tried to create my own Distro myself. I was simply directing you to a site designed to help you do this.

The Live CD seems to be no longer available, but all the packages can be located here.

You should be in touch with L. F. S. for more detailed answers to your L.F.S questions.

Number one if you are deriving your distro from another one say in my case Puppy Linux - check with their documentation what is involved for instance with deriving from Puppy Linux conditions on naming say that you must not call it Puppy Linux that name is copyright Barry Kauler however you could call it pupbang or something to do with Dogs or some name which differentiates it from Puppy Linux.

If compile your own packages then check their licence as well example GPL as well as those you may use from other distros

If using artwork (Wallpaper etc check licence there as well.

Agree totally with comments Devyn said and acknowledge people where appropriate as I have mentioned names like Puppy Linux are often copyright - eg Puppy Linux name is copyright Barry Kauler _________ .

Members online

Latest posts