Create a bootable USB stick with autorun (and fdisk?)

NilsGN

Hello,

I am looking for a (simple) way to create a USB stick that I can let my wife plug in and just start the computer (linuxOS) and then there will be a message (just in case a mistake happened) where the 'user' can choose to cancel.
This USB stick will then, upon approval, erase everything on your computer's hard drives.
I want to do this because I have privacy information that is only for me.

When I was working in a municipality, within healthcare, with security (information with high privacy) a few years ago, I created a DOS floppy disk that erased the entire C: volume and then wrote small files that filled the entire partition. Then split the volume into two partitions. Wrote files to full volume on both partitions. Then everything was erased again and then created a single partition.

Then we were able to give the computer to voluntary organizations.

I now want to create a similar one, but then a USB stick and it is enough to erase / clear existing partitions.

I've tried FreeDos and Parted Magic but can't get it done with autorun.

The easiest thing would be to have a DOS installation and fdisk.

Some ideas?

NilsGN

Thanks,
I will read about dban. A short look, it will not erase USB connected SATA-HDD?

atanere

About the most simple solution that I find is Redkey USB, but it's fairly expensive. Both Redkey USB and DBAN/Blancco are "wiping" solutions though... they will take several hours (or more) to complete. I'm not sure that's what you want.

I now want to create a similar one, but then a USB stick and it is enough to erase / clear existing partitions.

I've tried FreeDos and Parted Magic but can't get it done with autorun.

The easiest thing would be to have a DOS installation and fdisk.
I tried FreeDOS/Fdisk and a Windows 10 Recovery USB with diskpart... these work, but not with the simplicity that you want. If you can teach your wife the steps, or make a checklist to follow, then any of these tools will work, as well as Gparted or the fdisk included with any bootable Linux distro.

For speed, I would boot on the smallest, fastest Linux USB I could make, run fdisk -l in a terminal to identify all drives/partitions, and fdisk/delete as needed.

I also tried to get an old Windows 98 boot CD transferred over to USB, but I didn't get it to work. Perhaps it would, with more effort, but you may not have access to these old files anyway. If you have a running WIndows 98 computer, I think it would actually be easy... if it would recognize your USB stick.

Good luck!

NilsGN

aranere (sorry...; atanere ;)): I will check this out

Last edited:

NilsGN

arochester: I read about it and it says: "Secure Erase is not available on SCSI hard drives" and that's what I have. But I'll read more on that page and follow up some links.

Members online