cpupower.service FAILED

A

adRn

I've this problem on my Dell Inspiron 15 7548 i7-5500U running Sabayon/Gentoo Linux. Every time I boot I get this systemd FAILED status in my dbus messages (I've disabled "quiet splash" grub boot options). So I checked...

Code:
# systemctl status cpupower.service
 cpupower.service - Configure CPU power related settings
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib64/systemd/system/cpupower.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2015-11-01 00:06:56 ART; 1min 53s ago
  Process: 1872 ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower $CPUPOWER_START_OPTS (code=exited, status=237/SMACK_PROCESS_LABEL)
 Main PID: 1872 (code=exited, status=237/SMACK_PROCESS_LABEL)

Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: - Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)
Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: - Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?
Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: - Trying to set an invalid policy?
Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: - Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not available,
Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific frequency
Nov 01 00:06:54 shanti cpupower[1872]: or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?
Nov 01 00:06:56 shanti systemd[1]: cpupower.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=237/SMACK_PROCESS_LABEL
Nov 01 00:06:56 shanti systemd[1]: Failed to start Configure CPU power related settings.
Nov 01 00:06:56 shanti systemd[1]: cpupower.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 01 00:06:56 shanti systemd[1]: cpupower.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Any information would be appreciated.

What's cpu power service about?
Is it important?
May I volt-burn my CPU without it?
How can I fix it?

I've tried searching with google and into several wikis, but could'nt find anything useful. Please help.

cpupower is a tool used to change CPU frequency scaling. Depending on what you are trying to do it may be failing due to incorrect Intel CPU drivers or the wrong scaling governor is enabled. Unless you need to scale the CPU for some reason its best to turn off cpupower and instead switch to Intel's Thermald.

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-power/thermald
https://01.org/linux-thermal-daemon

Please note that Thermald is designed to reduce the cpus clock frequency when possible to reduce heat output and strain. Thermald will increase/decrease the clock frequency based on system load. Using thermald in laptops also considerably increases battery life and reduces the systems overall heat output.

GREAT! ty

I've disabled cpupower.service, installed thermald and swtiched to powersave CPU governor.

GREAT! ty

I've disabled cpupower.service, installed thermald and swtiched to powersave CPU governor.
So..... You fixed it.....? :D I just found out why my Laptop , Linux, and CPU were overheated and slow....... It was a Dust Bunny in the FAN!..... :3

Staff online