Covid Corner

Yes I know, 3hr vid, but this is riveting stuff, fascinating on so many levels. Probably the most interesting fact based vid I've watched in years.

WOW - very thought-provoking, but not perhaps in the way you would expect :)

Ta Wixen for providing us with this.

My disclaimer with this is that thus far, I have only watched 4 minutes and 47 seconds of the vid. However I do undertake to watch the whole 3 hours 16 minutes or so,

Given my current commitments here at this site, my being a Carer for my invalid wife, and other personal life commitments, I might only get to watch 30 mins per day, but I will get it digested in its entirety.

Why only 4:47 watched?

My weird and sometimes wonderful brain got me thinking I don't know these people, this is Social Media, and so on ... I had better check the creds (credentials) of the participants, and the subject matter.

So I have invested about half of my Sunday doing just that.

A warning here, regarding Social Media. Following is a screenshot from my laptop, showing a video only half the length of the original, and posted today. Why did the poster do it? Is he going to follow up with the other half? ... and so on

svq16So.png

In learning a bit about Doctor Robert Malone (on the left) being the "Father" of mRNA technology and research, I googled up a few things. Not exclusive, but includes
  • chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine and their side effects
  • Ivermectin and its side effects
  • and so on
and their use or usefulness, in combating COVID.

Include in your searches keywords at the end eg UK, USA, Australia, and so on and find out whether your medical authorities have approved use of these substances/methodologies and if not, why not, or where they are up to?

In USA, that authority is the FDA (Food & Drug Administration), in Oz TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) and so on.

I also researched what these drugs were intended for.

In the case of chloroquine (approved in Australia) and hydroxychloroquine (not approved) it is for malaria. I have known (a story for another time) for maybe 50 years that quinine, from the bark of the cinchona tree, was a treatment for malaria.

Ivermectin (featured in the video), is an anti-parasitic medicine. Here is one reference of many

https://www.nps.org.au/ivermectin-and-covid-19

I can expand further on this line of research I have been conducting, but I would rather finish viewing the (legitimate) video first.

So @Wixen and others

Probably the most interesting fact based vid I've watched in years.

Constructive criticism only (not destructive criticism, Wizard does not do that, as any regular members here could attest, I hope)

I would not be relying on this vid as a basis for a decision whether to get jabbed or not jabbed. I would talk with my doctor and research, research, research.

But do not be dissuaded from contributing, it is important we see what is being disseminated "out there" in order to make the best decisions for us and our familes.

Enjoy your Sundays, folks and enjoy your Linux, of course.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to covid news or articles anymore because it's just draining having had to hear about it for over a year now. I am getting vaccinated, having my first shot end of this month. A lot of research has gone into these vaccinations and medical science has gotten further and further over the years. I have heard that even with other vaccinations that are not for covid they had to adjust the vaccination over the years as for them to still keep having the wanted effect, so I would think that goes for covid as well. As for people who are now worried about what is getting put in their body, give me a break people put way worse crap in their body: Fentanyl, oxycodone, heroin, cocaine, alcohol, nicotine, ..etc, sugar and air pollution from the air we breath.

Last edited:
Russia tests COVID-19 vaccine as nasal spray for children - Reuters
Novavax says COVID-19 vaccine shows immune response against Beta virus variant - Reuters
Covid-19: Delta variant drives case rises in North East - BBC

A post has been removed for political discussion reasons.

Celltrion says trial shows antibody COVID-19 treatment to be safe and effective - Reuters
South Korean drugmaker Celltrion Inc (068270.KS) on Monday announced positive results for its experimental antibody COVID-19 treatment that it said was safe and reduced the treatment period by nearly five days in Phase 3 global clinical trials.
Two thirds of eligible people in Dubai fully vaccinated against COVID-19 - Reuters
UK's Johnson set to announce delay to end of COVID restrictions - Reuters

Last edited:
Linus Torvalds may be the inventor of a kickass computer operating system, but it doesn't give him the right to tell anyone else what to do with their bodies, be it what to eat, what to wear or to get vaccinated. People should be operating on common sense and informed opinion.

I've been monitoring covid before it was a pandemic, as a result i could see which way the wind was blowing, we were stocked up with plenty of food and toilet paper before panic buying even became a thing. I've lost count of the medical papers I've read regarding this outbreak. If you want to believe the narrative, fine.

Here are some things that are huge red flags to me.

If the virus is so deadly that we have to wear masks all the time around other people, why are the discarded masks not treated as hazardous waste? Where are the medical waste bins to put them in?
Why do they have to shove a cotton bud so far up your nose it's tickling your brain to get a sample? Surely a cheek swab will work just as well if it's so contageous?

The videos that came out of China initially were terrifying, but whatever was going on there didn't happen anywhere else, people dropping in the streets, dead and dying in hospital waiting rooms etc. Remember the emergency hospitals they built and used? Other countries built them but didn't use them. Why? Remember this was before the vaccines were developed.

If you want to dig into covid origins etc Google drastic research, they have more on it than anyone else.

I'm not going to tell anyone to get a vaccine, I'm not going to tell anyone not to get one, that decision is yours to make. The caveat is that you should be well informed before making that choice. The problem is that most people are not hearing all of the evidence due to cronyism, vested interests and corruption at the highest levels.

Thankfully, the information is starting to go mainstream now, keep an open mind, think logically, and to quote Spock, live long and prosper,

Linus Torvalds may be the inventor of a kickass computer operating system, but it doesn't give him the right to tell anyone else what to do with their bodies, be it what to eat, what to wear or to get vaccinated. People should be operating on common sense and informed opinion.
Linux is a kernel not an OS, so creator of the Linux kernel. It was about the reaction to an anti-vaxxer starting shit on the linux kernel mailinglist so he had every right to reply and he did do his research if you look at his reply.

Last edited:
Experts: "Get your vaccines!"

Anti-vaxxers: "No! I watched some YouTube videos and read Facebook!"

Constructive criticism only (not destructive criticism, Wizard does not do that, as any regular members here could attest, I hope)

I would not be relying on this vid as a basis for a decision whether to get jabbed or not jabbed. I would talk with my doctor and research, research, research.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/socialmedia/apple/48/thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

Experts: "Get your vaccines!"

Anti-vaxxers: "No! I watched some YouTube videos and read Facebook!"
You say it as a joke but this is so true. I have talked to people who say they did research about the vaccine and covid, that translated to watching "youtube" and "facebook" videos that were removed from those platforms that were posted by "doctors and researchers". Both those platforms have algorithms and shows you what you search for and watch most so of course you are going to come across videos and other content that validates your view.

You say it as a joke but this is so true.

Oh, that was poorly formed then.

No, it wasn't really a joke - or funny. It was mostly serious sarcasm in response to Torvalds even needing to address that in a mailing list.

"I did my own research!" Yeah, 'cause, you know, they suddenly became experts in the field and, more interestingly, *know more than* or *know better* the actual experts.

I feel sorry for those who are unable to get a vaccine because of things like allergies to the components. Additionally, vaccines don't ever have 100% efficacy rates. So, there's a risk even if you get the vaccine.

I'll continue to take precautions, including masking up. Some places are still requiring it. I'm not so fragile that I think being told to wear a mask is a burden.

Oh, that was poorly formed then.

No, it wasn't really a joke - or funny. It was mostly serious sarcasm in response to Torvalds even needing to address that in a mailing list.
No it wasn't poorly formed, I see sarcasm as being a way of somewhat joking but you are right it is just sarcasm.

No it wasn't poorly formed, I see sarcasm as being a way of somewhat joking but you are right it is just sarcasm.

LOL Yeah... Sadly, the Dunning-Kruger effect is real! With such a broadcast medium as the Internet, it spreads like wildfire.

At the end of the day, there's not a whole lot we can do about it except take precautions. The rate of vaccines here in my neck of the woods is better than some areas.

Morning, Brian, morning all :)

I'm going to try to inject (not a vaccine but) a little feel good in amidst the doom and gloom, and you can read more about that at my new Thread here

https://linux.org/threads/a-meeting-of-like-minds.35082/

Monday 16th March 2020, our Prime Minister had to place a ban on hugging Australia-wide, as COVID ramped up. Also the social distancing rules were deployed at the same time.

An hour after we had heard the news, Elaine and I had to attend a happy/sad occasion, a Memorial Service for the wife of a friend who had passed away after a long battle with cancer.

The service was attended by perhaps over a hundred people, including a number of her family from interstate. We gave widower Laurie and his daughter a hug, knowing it might be our last chance for a long time. And as best we could, in confined spaces, we observed the 1.5 metre (five foot) distancing rule.

That was my last hug with anyone other than Elaine, for 15 months, who could have predicted THAT?

While I share some of the symptoms and conditions as portrayed so well by actor Freddie Highmore as Dr Shaun Murphy in "The Good Doctor", I do not have the problem with personal contact and displays of affection. Probably more like Down Syndrome, really - I am a "huggie" person. :)

So yesterday, on getting the opportunity to finally meet, in person, my cyber friend of nearly seven years, Brian, as we stepped forward, I said to him "A handshake won't do it, Mate, it's gotta be a hug".

And we did, and it felt SO good.

Was I acting rashly? I don't believe so.

Brian and Te come from Glen Innes, NSW (2016 figures population 6,155) and Elaine and I from Stanthorpe NSW (2016 population figures 5,406) - comparable sizes.

No cases of COVID have been recorded in either centre, since the beginning. Neither, rural, centre is near any metropolitan hotspots.

Elaine and I and Brian have all had our first jab (AstraZeneca), and Te will be having hers as soon as available to her younger age category.

Elaine and I have masks in our car which go wherever we go, and if we need to use them, we do so without hesitation.

Brian's article above, from our broadcaster ABC, reminds me of some figures I was calculating for Brian and Stan, based on Australia's experience. We have had a 3-way conversation going for nearly 3 and a half years, I call it The Neverending Story.

I was able to observe that here, you were 600 times more likely to die of COVID than you were to die of a blood clotting disorder.

If we all got jabbed, we could all have a hug.

I like hugs, did I say that? ;)

Spread the love, NOT COVID.

Stay safe

Chris.

LOL Yeah... Sadly, the Dunning-Kruger effect is real
I never thought you already knew that. I've seen that many times in life. Anyway, to those who are curious.
From Wikipedia: The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.
This video explains in an easy-to-understand manner.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts