Could I interchange hard drives to swap OS?

EliKrieger

Reaction score
Credits
If I were to install Windows 10 on one hard drive and Linux Mint on another, would I be able to change which OS my computer is running on just by swapping the drives?

Please be gentle... I'm not too tech saavy.

You can just use 2 drives in one pc and always choose which os u want to boot at startup.

The Linux distro u want to install will have a so called "grub" menu. This menu will show up at boot, when it has detected 2 OSs on ur PC. There u can choose what u want to boot.

For example a grub menu with Debian and windows xp
DSC_1106.JPG

If I were to install Windows 10 on one hard drive and Linux Mint on another, would I be able to change which OS my computer is running on just by swapping the drives?

Please be gentle... I'm not too tech saavy.
Yes. That's how I do it. Only I don't physically swap the drives out. I have two hard drives in my PC with Linux on one and Windows on the other. I use either my BIOS boot menu or the GRUB boot menu to choose which to boot. Works like a charm! :)

The Linux distro u want to install will have a so called "grub" menu. This menu will show up at boot, when it has detected 2 OSs on ur PC. There u can choose what u want to boot.
So if I had 2 drives with different OS would it automatically ask me which drive/os to boot from/up on startup? So
Yes. That's how I do it. Only I don't physically swap the drives out. I have two hard drives in my PC with Linux on one and Windows on the other. I use either my BIOS boot menu or the GRUB boot menu to choose which to boot. Works like a charm! :)
Thanks man, read a little more into it and i discovered the magic of dual booting haha!

Members online