corrupted file or virus?

at some point in the past, some two years ago, I went from windows to linux
there are still some windows files in my folder, but almost all work is done on odt files
the two tmp file were dated Set 1 2022 at 5.30 AM, when the computer was shut off
both file were 0 bytes
from my veterinarian point of view, they should not have popped up

any instructions on how to prepare a log file?

anyhow I am now working on another disk with linux 20, so for me the problem is not interesting anymore, but if somebody has an interest, I will cooperate

one of the about 100 files I use to prepare a book is causing problems. it's less than 200 kB.
if a try to open it, it crashes the libre office writer
It sounds like this file is corrupted. You should have a backup of your book that can restore this file. If not, you can boot on a Linux flash drive and try running fsck to correct file errors on the hard drive. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

I discovered two new "mystery"files in the folder, both with 0 bytes, named lu2546josree.tmp and lu9148jolnen.tmp
LibreOffice Writer creates files like this. It's not really your problem, I don't think. This link discusses them a little in a Windows system, but I would guess they are created in Linux as well. That link also refers at the end to a Timestamp Backup Extension for LibreOffice. This might help you in the future, but a robust backup for all of your personal data is a better idea.

If this is so, then you will need to convert the file from Windows to Unix to make it workable
@dos2unix .....do you have any clue here ?

I've never had to do this.
I run libreoffice however.

I do get weirdly named tmpfiles frequently. Dozens of times every day.
Almost every application that runs background processes will create tmpfiles.
It's not a virus, (at least not in my case).

in the meantime, I eliminated the problem files.

when opening libre office writer, during all the time |I used it, a recovery program pops up, even if all files were saved in the previous session.

is this just to bring back to the screen the files that were open during the last session??

anyhow, here is where I now have a problem, during this recovery it gets stuck, the whole screen freezes, but I can move the cursor normally

now if I click the recovery box away, I can open all files without problems, sofar
presently using linux 20.3 and libreoffice writer 6.0
no new tmp files sofar
note that my tmp files were dated at an hour during which the computer was shut off ....

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts