corrupted file or virus?

Mees

Reaction score
Credits
this is my first post to this forum

one of the about 100 files I use to prepare a book is causing problems. it's less than 200 kB.
if a try to open it, it crashes the libre office writer (6.4, on linux mint 19, updated)
I can work simultaneously with 20 or more files, some of 5 MB, without a problem. but adding the problem file to the list make the program crash
all these files are in one folder

we looked at swap memory and that's OK
we also looked at infections and one suspect item was reported, the friend who helped me with the swap analysis parked this item in a safe place
I can get you the data if needed

I tried to open this problem file with other options, only Fire Fox Browser worked
I could non find strange things but I am no expert, just a user
that was yesterday. today this procedure did not work, so I tried the option "do this with all files" in the FF browser
the browser then started to open hundreds of new tabs in just seconds

yesterday I discovered two new "mystery"files in the folder, both with 0 bytes, named lu2546josree.tmp and lu9148jolnen.tmp
I deleted both. turned out these were started on september 1 at 05.36, when the computer was shut off

the problem file can be send by email,

hope somebody can help me out!

greetings from Costa Rica!

G'day Mees, Welcome to linux.org

Have you tried searching lu9148j and lu2546 ??
Do any of the search results mean anything to you?....any connection...?

Thanks Condobloke
seems we both have an old dog ...
these file names mean nothing to me both have the lu....jo... pattern, lujo in Spanish means luxe, luxury

in the meantime I managed to open the content.xml file of the problem file and to recover most of the text, embedded in code

I forgot to mention that this problem started last week, when I minimized a writer file, something I had never done before
suddenly all open files disappeared from the screen, as did firefox

Supposedly Linux is not affected by viruses, but what do we know about attacks by witches??

Against attacks by witches we recommend black cats ! :)

Thanks, that's funny but it doesn't help me out ..... has anybody in the linux world experience with witches as I describe?

This may help with witches...
scared0011.gif

https://www.amazon.com/How-Overcome-WITCHCRAFT-Demonic-ATTACKS/dp/1686374798

Settle down, please, folks.

@Mees may I ask which country you come from, and are you actually 70 years of age, as your profile describes?

Also, are you talking of witches as in people dealing in the supernatural? If not, please describe further what you mean.

Thanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Settle down, please, folks.

@Mees may I ask which country you come from, and are you actually 70 years of age, as your profile describes?

Also, are you talking of witches as in people dealing in the supernatural? If not, please describe further what you mean.

Thanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks Chris,
yes that's correct, just rounded 70, hope that's within your age limit. But all kidding aside, I was born in Holland, lived in 7 countries on 4 continents for 45 years, presently in Costa Rica.
I do indeed have a strange problem, see my first post, and as the saying goes that linux doesn't suffer from viruses, I suggested it might suffer from witches now and then.
I wonder if linux creates a log of such things which I can send for you experts to analyze? or can anybody analyse the problem file?

OP,

I think you mean Glitches...
A sudden, usually temporary malfunction or irregularity of equipment...Suffer a sudden malfunction or irregularity.
happy0025.gif

yes that's correct, just rounded 70, hope that's within your age limit.

You're a young'un compared to some. We have a number of Members in their 70s, and one who turns 88 in November and another older than him. :)

like a glitch that among other things creates files when your computer is shut down??

Not that I am familiar with.

Wizard

sorry, like a glitch that among other things creates files when your computer is shut down??

I think that's something windwoes would do...not Linux.
t2310.gif

Dear Chris Turner
I have reported strange things happening while using linux 19 and LibreOffice writer

I have proposed to send a log file, if there exists one, to a linux expert, idem for the problem file

Is there interest from linux engineers in my problem and proposal??

If not, I will leave the forum in "a windhoe, with a black cat, an a glitch in my memory" to honor the suggestins I've got

QUESTION, were these files original produced on Windows? lu9148jolnen.tmp is a window's temporary file code and is read only in Linux
If this is so, then you will need to convert the file from Windows to Unix to make it workable

@Mees

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

That being said

I have proposed to send a log file, if there exists one, to a linux expert, idem for the problem file

Is there interest from linux engineers in my problem and proposal??

You could Pastebin a log file if you wish, and if someone reads this thread and has knowledge I am sure they will contribute.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online