Copy and paste problem please help me

D

DoraGototo

Do you guys use ctrl c and ctrl v to copy and paste ? I want to get it but I don't know how I just got Linux computer. Please help me!!!

Yes, highlight the section and CtrlC and CtrlV.

Or, highlight the section, and RIGHT click for a menu which included Copy and RIGHT click at the destination for a menu which includes Paste.

I am doing it now like this but as clicking ctrl c and v is much more easier :(
maybe its just my computer that doesnt' work with it...

Are you trying to copy/paste in a gnome terminal?

You have to:

ctrl-shift-c to copy
ctrl-shift-v to paste

You can re-map those to ctrl-c and ctrl-v, but probably don't want to because ctrl-c is used already as interrupt...

If you're using your mouse to highlight the text anyway, it'll 'copy' it as you highlight it.. then click the mouse wheel to paste it in (in a gnome-term)

even my ctrl - shift-c and v aren't working... and I don't really understand how can this be fixed in terminal..

What terminal are you using? Is there a Help --> About tab on it?

How can I find out what am I using,sorry, /I never had Linux before and It is all new for me /

No problem.. at the top of your terminal, does it have things like "file, edit, view, etc.."?
gnome-terminal.png

Click on 'Help' then go to 'about' .. to see what terminal you are using..

Ok it says that is GNOME Terminal 3.6.0 . Hope this would help!
Then you are using the default GNOME terminal. ctrl + shift +c should copy and ctrl + shift + v should paste.

Could you go to Edit --> keyboard Shortcuts and see what combination copy and paste are set to?

EDIT: GNOME terminal 3.6.1 (Ubuntu 13.04) has ctrl + shift + c/v as copy/paste. This should not be different in 3.6.0. Back in 2011 gnome-terminal had a bug that prevented copy/paste from working. I think this has been fixed by now.

I tried it but it is not working .It says that Paste is Ctrl V but Copy cant be changed to Ctrl C and any other combination I type is not working :(

Also when I copy something with the mouse button and then do CTRL V paste it is not working either

okay here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-09-04 16:12:41.png
    Screenshot from 2013-09-04 16:12:41.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,792
Guys , I found out that the the combinations with Ctrl don't work because I have already used it as a combination with which I change the languages . I don't know how to change that but I think that if I do then Ctrl C and V would both work.

Guys , I found out that the the combinations with Ctrl don't work because I have already used it as a combination with which I change the languages . I don't know how to change that but I think that if I do then Ctrl C and V would both work.
There should be a global keyboard shortcut program. I know that KDE has it built in, so GNOME probably does also.

Members online