Convert Windows Server to Linux

hintv

Reaction score
Credits
I've got a second windows server that is used very little since I built a new one, and want to convert the older ito a linux media server. My question has to do with the movies on the windows drive right now. Will I be able to plug and play that drive or will I loss all the movies already on it. The server will have 3 drives a 60gb for primary and 2 X 2tb drives that already has movies and music on it.

Thanks

G'day @hintv and welcome to linux.org ;)

I am not a Servers person and have to scoot in a moment for my Sunday evening DownUnder, someone should be along soon.

Can you tell us

What version of Windows?

Computer specs?

Something from Windows Disk Management with regard to partition management at the moment?

I would be seeking to establish whether your rig is set up as BIOS/MBR or UEFI/GPT, amongst other things.

The 2 x 2TB drives sounds good, and space consumed and available will enable someone to better determine how to handle those movies &c.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Windows Home Server 2011
Intel i3 540
Toshiba 60gb
2 X WD 2Tb
8gb Ram
Motherboard is probably a Gigabyte

As long as the drives are all separate and not tied together with raid or anything, you should be fine.

I'm understanding that you're using the 60g drive for the os, and the other two for media.

I'd probably unplug the two large drives during the Linux install so you don't accidentally format them during the install.

Members online

Latest posts