Solved Constant Freezing Forcing me back to Windows

Solved issue
Heh. I bought a 12-yr old Dell Latitude D630 to replace a 20-yr old Inspiron 1100.

I nuked the Windoze 10 some idiot had shoehorned onto it. I'm now dual-booting a pair of Puppies.....and having a whale of a time.

I'd never recommend Puppy to noobs, 'cos too much about it is "non-standard". But I have less trouble setting a Puppy up than most beginners seem to have with many mainstream distros.....

I'm usually installed, set-up and fully-customized in around an hour.

Mike.
I like keeping a Ubuntu live boot stick (or spare drive with Ubuntu) for writing iso's

I'd go through these links to see if there is anything useful, myself
(Once I had trouble with i915 in antiX) --
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics
Ahh interesting, the Arch wiki recommends:

Option "NoAccel" "True"​
or
Option "DRI" "False"​

for individual apps crashing with this Intel GPU. Good to know.
You can kinda help battery life fairly simply:

Great thanks!
I'd never recommend Puppy to noobs, 'cos too much about it is "non-standard". But I have less trouble setting a Puppy up than most beginners seem to have with many mainstream distros.....
:D
Now I'm down a rabbit hole reading in the puppy linux github haha.

PS still typing from a crash free Mint. Using Remmina to remote into my Pi4 Jellyfin Sever. Bliss.

Sounds like the i915.enable_psr=0 was the problem.....That would appear definite.

Do you have an external hard drive/ssd...?

If so, it would make a great deal of sense to use Timeshift to save some snapshots to that drive....maybe set up a schedule so it takes a daily or weekly snapshot automatically ?

Sounds like the i915.enable_psr=0 was the problem.....That would appear definite.

Do you have an external hard drive/ssd...?

If so, it would make a great deal of sense to use Timeshift to save some snapshots to that drive....maybe set up a schedule so it takes a daily or weekly snapshot automatically ?
Indeed I have a G-Raid I'm sending Timeshifts too that also is synced on the cloud.

Man, I've been struggling with this for 3 days now. Then I found this post.
You would have looked at my face when I saw this was about Dell Latitude 7390 and was solved.
Read the whole conversation between you guys and felt like 4 guys are sitting at a campfire sipping coffee and discussing life.

It is definitely i915.enable_psr=0. I installed Mint, Ubuntu 22.04, 20, etc. and all of them has the same freeze. I could work for hours in Recovery mode, but as soon as I turned on the GPU, my screen froze. Adding that parameter solved it.

Anyways, for people coming here, what you need to do:
  1. If you can't stay logged in without freezing, open recovery mode. (press e or shift during boot time)
  2. Edit the file /etc/default/grub by
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
  3. Add
    Code:
    i915.enable_psr=0
    to kernel parameter
    • So the line
      Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
      becomes
      Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_psr=0"
  4. Then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    to update GRUB's configuration file

Welcome to the forums @RepublicN
Read the whole conversation between you guys and felt like 4 guys are sitting at a campfire sipping coffee and discussing life.
yes we are like that, Kick around an unsolved problem, and throw our various thoughts at it, Waffle on a bit, then usually find a solution, We have different ideas sometimes we may disagree, but we do not argue.

drop into the https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/ forum and tell us about yourself

Man, I've been struggling with this for 3 days now. Then I found this post.
I'm glad this thread was of use and thanks for summarizing.

I've done some distro hopping since my original post (currently on PopOs) and found that the issue is consistent accross all the distros I tried and was solved with the same grub edit: i915.enable_psr=0.

yes we are like that, Kick around an unsolved problem, and throw our various thoughts at it, Waffle on a bit, then usually find a solution, We have different ideas sometimes we may disagree, but we do not argue.
I really enjoy the spitball approach to problem solving seen on this forum. People are also willing to be patient which is awesome.

Is there anyway to write a batch script that will automatically plug these lines into the Grub? Would be great to have a .sh file for others. Often the battle is getting enough time to do all the terminal work before the system freezes up. Right clicking and running a .sh would of saved me many hard reboots!

@RepublicN welcome to linux.org :)

Just a heads up that if you have entered Recovery Mode, you will likely be at a root prompt (ends with #) - then there is no need for sudo.

@ghosty999

Is there anyway to write a batch script that will automatically plug these lines into the Grub? Would be great to have a .sh file for others. Often the battle is getting enough time to do all the terminal work before the system freezes up. Right clicking and running a .sh would of saved me many hard reboots!

You could start a Thread in the Command Line subforum and link to this one.

Cheers

Wizard