Connecting to WIFI

New-bie

Reaction score
Credits
Just installed MINT 18.3 by using Oracle VistualBox. The problem I have is I can not connect to the internet. When I select the internet icon the window shows Wired, the network connection shows my WIFI but will not connect. How do I fix this?

Hi @New-bie and welcome to linux.org :)

I am neither expert in WiFi, nor in Virtualbox.

... well that sounds promising, doesn't it (not) :eek::confused:

BUT, I can ask some relevant questions for others to use.

1. So you have used either a USB stick or DVD on your Windows, to install Linux on a pre-existing Virtual Box on Windows, is that so? If not, correct me.

2. If so, can you insert your Live Medium (USB or DVD), reboot and enter your BIOS to boot from that, and when you get it up, see if the WiFi connects or otherwise?

3. If you go into your Mint the way you usually do, can you launch a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter the following and report the output to us?

Code:
lspci | grep -i network

... that vertical line between lspci and grep is actually two small vertical dashes, likely on a key with a \ below it, or thereabouts

This will give whomever helps some of the info they need to check your configuration.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello @New-bie. It's OK it appears as Wired. Usually the virtual guest operating system gets the network connection from the host machine.

Here are some excerpts from VirtualBox manual:
VirtualBox by default enables one virtual network
card and selects the “Network Address Translation” (NAT) mode for it. This way the guest can
connect to the outside world using the host’s networking and the outside world can connect to
services on the guest which you choose to make visible outside of the virtual machine.
Network Address Translation (NAT) If all you want is to browse the Web, download files and
view e-mail inside the guest, then this default mode should be sufficient for you
Bridged networking This is for more advanced networking needs such as network simulations
and running servers in a guest. When enabled, VirtualBox connects to one of your installed
network cards and exchanges network packets directly, circumventing your host operating
system’s network stack.

Hi @New-bie and welcome to linux.org :)

I am neither expert in WiFi, nor in Virtualbox.

... well that sounds promising, doesn't it (not) :eek::confused:

BUT, I can ask some relevant questions for others to use.

1. So you have used either a USB stick or DVD on your Windows, to install Linux on a pre-existing Virtual Box on Windows, is that so? If not, correct me.

2. If so, can you insert your Live Medium (USB or DVD), reboot and enter your BIOS to boot from that, and when you get it up, see if the WiFi connects or otherwise?

3. If you go into your Mint the way you usually do, can you launch a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter the following and report the output to us?

Code:
lspci | grep -i network

... that vertical line between lspci and grep is actually two small vertical dashes, likely on a key with a \ below it, or thereabouts

This will give whomever helps some of the info they need to check your configuration.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks for your response.
As for your first questionI down loaded Mint onto my C drive from the Linux site.
For your second question I used the virtual box because I could not get into the BIOS
For your third question when I typed in what you showed it went right to the prompt
Is this of any help?
Thanks
New-bie

If you have access to ethernet, try getting on the internet that way and run a software update. I recently put Ubuntu on a macbook and wifi didn't work. Updated software and noticed with the updated kernel wifi worked no problem. I did come across some similar issues from people with the same issue on other brand laptops as well and the kernel update fixed it.

Good luck,
Rob

Hi @New-bie , do you have the brand name and model number (& laptop or desktop) of the computer you are using?

That's if you haven't got further, it might identify a BIOS key for you.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online