Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting to WIFI

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by New-bie, Mar 5, 2018.

1. New-bie

New-bie New Member

Just installed MINT 18.3 by using Oracle VistualBox. The problem I have is I can not connect to the internet. When I select the internet icon the window shows Wired, the network connection shows my WIFI but will not connect. How do I fix this?

2. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

Hi @New-bie and welcome to linux.org :)

I am neither expert in WiFi, nor in Virtualbox.

... well that sounds promising, doesn't it (not) :eek::confused:

BUT, I can ask some relevant questions for others to use.

1. So you have used either a USB stick or DVD on your Windows, to install Linux on a pre-existing Virtual Box on Windows, is that so? If not, correct me.

2. If so, can you insert your Live Medium (USB or DVD), reboot and enter your BIOS to boot from that, and when you get it up, see if the WiFi connects or otherwise?

3. If you go into your Mint the way you usually do, can you launch a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter the following and report the output to us?

Code:
    lspci | grep -i network
    ... that vertical line between lspci and grep is actually two small vertical dashes, likely on a key with a \ below it, or thereabouts

This will give whomever helps some of the info they need to check your configuration.

Cheers

Chris Turner
    wizardfromoz

atanere likes this.
  3. nuna

nuna Member

Hello @New-bie. It's OK it appears as Wired. Usually the virtual guest operating system gets the network connection from the host machine.

Here are some excerpts from VirtualBox manual:

wizardfromoz, atanere and JasKinasis like this.
  4. New-bie

New-bie New Member

Thanks for your response.
    As for your first questionI down loaded Mint onto my C drive from the Linux site.
    For your second question I used the virtual box because I could not get into the BIOS
    For your third question when I typed in what you showed it went right to the prompt
    Is this of any help?
    Thanks
    New-bie

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  5. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have access to ethernet, try getting on the internet that way and run a software update. I recently put Ubuntu on a macbook and wifi didn't work. Updated software and noticed with the updated kernel wifi worked no problem. I did come across some similar issues from people with the same issue on other brand laptops as well and the kernel update fixed it.

Good luck,
    Rob

6. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

Hi @New-bie , do you have the brand name and model number (& laptop or desktop) of the computer you are using?

That's if you haven't got further, it might identify a BIOS key for you.

Cheers

Wizard

atanere and Condobloke like this.