Connecting to internet with Ubuntu 8.04.1

DeanSum

Reaction score
Credits
How do I get onto the internet with Ubuntu 8.04.1? Why you might ask for such an old version. I downloaded 19.04 to a DVD but it won't run. 8.04.1 did load and run but I don't have a clue on what to do to get on the internet. Thanks

Ubuntu 8.04 reached the end of its life in 2013. Full of security holes. No updates available?

Why did 19.04 not run? What happened? What did you see?

Does your computer have a MAKE and MODEL? Or, can you give its basic specs?

Wow, what a quick responce! I downloaded 19.04 from a different computer and burned it to a dvd. When running the dvd on the computer there is a whole screen of info I have no idea what it is. I will have to get back to you when I find out the make and model of the computer. Thanks again!

G'day @DeanSum and welcome to linux.org :)

In addition to the information arochester has provided -

If you do want to try a modern Ubuntu, you are better with 18.04.2 LTS (Long Term Support). If you go 19.04 it has only 9 months support, ending January next year. Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) release an LTS every even-numbered year. This provides 5 years support, so 18.04 goes to April 2023.

You can get 18.04.2 here - https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

System Requirements

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS states minimum as:
  • 2 GHz dual core processor or better.
  • 2 GB system memory.
  • 25 GB of free hard drive space.
  • Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media.
  • Internet access is helpful.
May 2, 2018

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks. I have already downloaded it and am deciding what computer to load it in. I'm getting an education.

Members online

Latest posts