Confused with Variety of Linux Downloads Available

Tom Larson

Reaction score
Credits
I have yet to download and I'm confused. On the downloads page I see many, many links. Each leads to downloads with different names. Are these all different flavors of Linux? I don't get it!

Ureka! I'm on google now. It looks like I lack a whole bunch of information before I even download an environment to begin working in! I'm amazed at how little I know! It appears that this rabbit hole runs pretty deep! I'm even more happy that I signed up here now. The date of my first postings will one day be looked back upon fondly.

I need some advice on how NOT to go about learning as well as some sage advice on some prerequisite knowledge I should posses before embarking on my LINUX learning experience. Any such advice will be welcomed. Beginning with direction in how to best use this forum.

MODERATOR'S NOTE

The above Posts moved to here to get more attention for the OP (Original Poster, that's you, Tom)

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I need some advice on how NOT to go about learning as well as some sage advice on some prerequisite knowledge I should posses before embarking on my LINUX learning experience. Any such advice will be welcomed. Beginning with direction in how to best use this forum.
I'm a 'git-er-done' kinda guy so I would just wade right in and learn as I go. +1
That being said - I found the easiest way for me to learn Linux was to have spare computer with which to practice and experiment. Having just one computer makes it hard to find answers when something doesn't work :/
I found many old PC's for very little or no money. People tend to buy new computers when their Windows installation stops working correctly and throw the old computer in a closet.

Welcome to the forum @Tom Larson

Well well the age old question where do I begin. Well to be truthful, to continue looking at the number of Linux versions is a waste of time. How do you get started, jump in with both feet. You are on the right forum to help you stay out of trouble.

When I started my journey with Linux I just jumped in and downloaded a version and went from there. Best thing I ever did. I started with Ubuntu 16.04. I have not looked back. I currently have several old computers running various Linux versions. I have found the two best for me as a beginner is Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Now I also play with CentOS and OpenSUSE Leap 15.0.

@Vrai said in post #6

I'm a 'git-er-done' kinda guy so I would just wade right in and learn as I go. +1
That being said - I found the easiest way for me to learn Linux was to have spare computer with which to practice and experiment. Having just one computer makes it hard to find answers when something doesn't work

That is a very truthful statement. As you move forward there are several things that will standout. Mr. Murphy is standing by waiting to mess things up. But this forum is ready and willing to ruin Mr Murphy’s day.

If and when you pick a version of Linux to play with, download a version of Timeshift and install on your Linux machine and make a backup of your system. Timeshift will be your friend. If you mess up your Linux version and have a backup with Timeshift no problem. All you do is restore and you are back in business.

I also noticed @wizardfromoz slipped out without any comment. He is one that has a lot of knowledge.

Big like on Hansel's comments and nice to see you, Hansel :)

I also noticed @wizardfromoz slipped out without any comment. He is one that has a lot of knowledge.

Haha, if I start telling Tom about the 80 Linux I run, I'll only confuse him further :D

Best for Tom is to have a small supply of USB sticks for him to download and try some, but importantly to identify what he wants to have in an Operating System (OS).

DistroWatch is a good spot to see what Linux are available - its page hit ranking lists many (top 100 and more) - https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

... if he tries any of those top 10 he can't really go wrong.

For understanding of Desktop Environments (DEs) - https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Tom, this is a bit like the differences between Windows 98, XP, Windows 7, 8, and 10 with their "look and feel".

So LInux has GNOME, MATE (pron. "mar-tay"), Cinnamon, KDE and so on. MATE is likely the closest look to Windows, if that is what you want, so a LInux Mint MATE or an Ubuntu MATE might suit.

On Timeshift, it is like Windows Restore, but way better, and I have a Tute on it here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... but that is best read and used only after you have made a full install of a Linux to your hard drive (if you choose to do so).

Cheers

Wizard

Latest posts