configure: error: external blkid library not found

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I am new to Linux. I am trying to build the source code for EVB-KSZ9477 using all the steps mentioned in the document "EVB_KSZ9477_Source_Build_Instructions.pdf"
I have installed Ubuntu 14.04.06 LTS using VM on my laptop. After few hours of build, I am getting an error shown in the attached screenshot.

Has anyone faced this issue?

Thanks
Meenanath

Attachments

• Linux Build Error.JPG
    Linux Build Error.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 406

Another EOL Linux distro causing problems. Ubuntu 14.04 is EOL, please install a current distro. Doing so will eliminate some possible causes for your build issues.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to build the project using latest distribution of Linux 20.04.01. That gives me different errors. I am trying to solve those issues as well.

Meantime, I was thinking if I can get at least this project built with 14.04 as Microchip have mentioned in the document.

You are free to use 14.04, but you won't be able to get any updates security or otherwise, and being on the internet with an old, unsecure distro is rather dicey.

Yes, I agree. I am using the Ubuntu for building software for an embedded target hardware only. I am not using it for my regular work.

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that, I fixed this problem by enabling libblkid option in e2fsprogs.mk file which was disabled.

--enable-libblkid

Thanks,
Meenanath

As commented in e2fsprogs.mk, it is not recommended to use libblkid as e2fsprogs builtin.
In my case, the target that was failing is host-e2fsprogs, which itself requires host-util-linux.

Whereas enabling BR2_PACKAGE_HOST_UTIL_LINUX should have done the trick, it appears that the right solution is simply to enable libblkid for host if it is required per builtroot variable:
Screenshot from 2021-04-13 16-06-30.png

Last edited: