Concerning those who buy overpriced hardware and demand that we "mind our own business" when we try to scold them...

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
"I will buy whatever the hell I want, when I want, the rest of you penniless peasants should mind your own business because it doesn't concern you! :mad:"

This type of response to people being confronted with buying hardware that the general public has consensus of being "bullshit levels of expensive", the most recent one that sparked this argument once again is the purchase of an nVidia RTX 4090 graphics card. In terms of this I have prepared an official, moderate response:

"
You have made a rather audacious claim that your spending habits have nothing do with us. That's exactly where you're wrong. You see, the supplier of your product is a corporation. A corporation's primary goal is to maximize profit. Its not malice, they have owners to answer to. If you owned a stock, your primary concern would also be to get as much value from a stock as possible. And don't pretend that it wouldn't. If you were really an altruist, you'd buy a cheaper product and donate the difference in price to charity and we wouldn't be having this argument.

And as such, being what they are, they will, like a toddler who tries to push his limits with his parents, also try to push the envelope in just how much money they can exert from you. By buying overpriced products you are not only endorsing their ethical misconduct, you are encouraging the worsening of such. By escalating such behavior, you are indirectly responsible for putting a product that should have been otherwise affordable, out of reach of thousands of people, and it will only get worse until you're also the one squealing over just how much you're willing to pay for it.

But does it really need to get that far? Your wallet is your biggest weapon on the consumer market, why won't you wield it? By striking the supplier of your purchase into the dirt at a regular basis and make sure they never stray even a little from it, we can ensure fair, equitable and quality products for all involved, even you will benefit. And if you got too much money, come over to our side anyway, and give me the surplus, I won't mind, really... and you'll still get what you want, maybe even better!

"

Now I know these types of fights aren't present on this site, and my intent is not to spark one, but rather it is made in the hope that there people here that are either participating in the flame wars that are occurring all over the internet or observing them, being unsure in how to involve themselves.

I would ask, that any who are willing, disseminate my response or use it as a basis of their own, in order to either prevent or stop the battle from becoming a flame war and assert that we are not enemies, but rather allies in this endeavor, and like the misguided troops of a dictator, they need to be made to see the error of their ways rather than spat on for defending the enemy.

My best regards,
BBB
right-wrong.jpg

Who determines what 'overpriced' is? There's no consensus.

We have people who think me spending $700 on a laptop was outlandishly expensive.

We have people who legitimately use those expensive graphics cards for more than just games. Or, even just for games. It improves their game play (or it can) in a statistically sound manner, offering greater FPS for example. That's a perfectly valid reason for me, and I don't even play games.

How about you revert to using a P2 with 128 MB of RAM because that'll be enough for you to browse the internet in the terminal. That's all you *need*. Anything more than that and you're spending too much and helping the corporetocracy.

Consensus is perhaps a too high valued word. Perhaps we need one that describes the notion of a "sufficient portion of the population".

Nevertheless we should always be challenging the purveyors of our merchandise. Lack of such leads to complacency, and complacency leads to stagnation.

I originally did give you a beer, but decided to take it away after reading @KGIII's response. There's plenty of reasons (even dumb reasons) why people buy the tech that they buy, but if it's not directly affecting you at all, then leave them alone, otherwise it simply leads to awkward and tense situations with them. I don't know if you saw it, but here's a thread I made about me having an issue with my neighbor having a Ring doorbell. While I value my privacy, and hate the creepy shit the device does due it using proprietary software, it was his decision to make so there's nothing I can do to change his mind. https://linux.org/threads/is-it-possible-to-jailbreak-a-ring-doorbell.42358/

At the risk of repeating myself - it does concern me, it DOES affect me. I already explained how and why.

Even if you feel it does impact you, you don't have a right to dictate the behavior of others. Especially when you're equally culpable. I guarantee that you have more than you 'need' in a variety of ways in your life. I guarantee that you're wealthy compared to a giant swath of the world's population. I guarantee this without even knowing more about you.

You can afford a computer. You have leisure time to use it. You have a stable internet connection. You have a cell phone. You have electricity that's reliable. You have a residence that keeps you warm and dry. The list of things goes on.

I bet your car has a radio. It probably has AC. It probably goes faster than the speed limit allows.

You don't get to make these claims and limit it just to computers.

We have multiple people here who use old computers, at least one of whom limits themselves to that which they can get at no cost. They do just fine. Their usage would absolutely suit the majority of people, who only need a browser, email client, and word processor.

So, from their perspective you're causing the same harm you're otherwise trying to call out in other people.

Even if you feel it does impact you, you don't have a right to dictate the behavior of others.
Well that certainly wasn't my intent. It was more like in the lines on "ask" rather than "dictate".

Let me think this through again, maybe revise my claims.

We have multiple people here who use old computers, at least one of whom limits themselves to that which they can get at no cost. They do just fine. Their usage would absolutely suit the majority of people, who only need a browser, email client, and word processor.
I use old discarded computers for Linux and upgrade them to the maximum that my spare parts allows me to and for my computer use it's all I need.

I can afford to buy a System 76 computer if I wanted to spend that amount of money however why should I if what I have cuts the mustard for what I need.

I believe that computer parts have become outrageously overpriced along with everything else in the consumer industry.

It's my choice if I choose to buy or if I choose not to buy outrageously overpriced consumer products and nobody is forcing me or anyone else to do so.

As long as Linux works on my outdated Frankenstein boxes I'll keep on using them gives me something to do in my old age and plenty of parts that can be purchased from Ebay cheap.

And besides I'm a cheap old bastard.

Cheers. :)

I use old discarded computers for Linux and upgrade them to the maximum that my spare parts allows me to and for my computer use it's all I need.

LOL If it wasn't for people like me (who doesn't really buy the best of the best, but you get the idea) you'd have to buy your computers. So, it's a good thing (for some folks) that people buy new, upgrade often, and let their old stuff go for low/no money. I find new homes for what I can and recycle the rest.

I do upgrade quite a bit, but don't really spend that much on them. Sometimes I'll find a refurb that suits my needs and is enough of an improvement to justify it. I definitely don't spend much on graphics cards. I have no reason to do so. I don't play games and I do not do any computation that's best done on graphics cards - like CUDA stuff or whatnot.

I keep putting off buying a cheap Windows laptop. I need to do so for some music equipment. I just really don't want to have to learn how to use Windows again. For that, I don't need much power so I'll likely buy a cheap refurb with Windows 11 on it. I should be able to find something < $200 that does the trick.

I use old discarded computers for Linux and upgrade them to the maximum that my spare parts allows me toLOL If it wasn't for people like me (who doesn't really buy the best of the best, but you get the idea) you'd have to buy your computers. So, it's a good thing (for some folks) that people buy new, upgrade often, and let their old stuff go for low/no money.

I never said I never bought new computers.

I said "I use old discarded computers for Linux and upgrade them to the maximum that my spare parts allows me to"

I used to buy new Windows computers every so many years for the Wife and kids and lets not forget tablets and cell phones.

Most if not all of my Linux computers I use are given to me because they fail to keep working.

Dead power supplies.
Failed hard drives.
Swollen capacitors on the motherboard.

Stuff most anyone could have fixed but chose to buy a new computer because they didn't want to spend the time and money to do so which I understand so yeah I take them.

I had new working computers long before people gave me their non-working or discared computer so it's not because of and I quote "LOL If it wasn't for people like me (who doesn't really buy the best of the best, but you get the idea) you'd have to buy your computers. So, it's a good thing (for some folks) that people buy new, upgrade often, and let their old stuff go for low/no money."

Drawing comparisons between the "Have and Have Nots", their spending and purchasing decisions and so on can generate emotive issues, so I am moving this Thread to Off Topic where it can do less harm, hopefully.

If it gets out of hand I will close it down.

Wizard

"I use old discarded computers for Linux and upgrade them to the maximum that my spare parts allows me to and for my computer use it's all I need."

"And besides I'm a cheap old bastard."

Cheers. :)

Yep same here mate have a nice thinkpad which now behaves itself with MX Linux which does everything I need including printing. I'm with K Gill on what he said too.

If I can't find a machine/Cell Phone that meets my needs new I look at the second hand market or hand me downs.

What Linux.org forum members getting out of hand. o_O No way man not us. :rolleyes:
I read that comment and in imagined it being in Bart Simpson's voice. Spat coffee all over the white wall of my room. I just painted it last week. Damn you!:D

Swollen capacitors on the motherboard.

I'll touch on this one. Do you replace caps on current motherboards?!? I haven't done a cap job since I last fixed an amplifier. (That was a long time ago. Today, I'd send it out for repairs. I have better ways to use my time.)

Well... Maybe not *better* ways, but ways of spending my time that I find more enjoyable! :p

Like riding a bicycle still the same just more useless crap nobody needs. ;)

Also, will I be able to smash Windows into looking like Windows? I quite like a regular applications menu, a task bar, and a system tray. I insist on those things in Linux 'cause they're just good designs and I am comfortable with them. I know with Windows 8 there was an application you could install - 'cause I heard someone raving about how good it was. I dunno if such exists for 11. That's one of the reasons I've gone so slowly with this whole 'buy a Windows laptop' thing. I really need to do it.

I'll touch on this one. Do you replace caps on current motherboards?!? I haven't done a cap job since I last fixed an amplifier. (That was a long time ago. Today, I'd send it out for repairs. I have better ways to use my time.)

Well... Maybe not *better* ways, but ways of spending my time that I find more enjoyable! :p
If I like the motherboard enough I'll change the capacitors.
Once the motherboard is out only takes about an hour and then put it all back together.

Also, will I be able to smash Windows into looking like Windows? I quite like a regular applications menu, a task bar, and a system tray. I insist on those things in Linux 'cause they're just good designs and I am comfortable with them. I know with Windows 8 there was an application you could install - 'cause I heard someone raving about how good it was. I dunno if such exists for 11. That's one of the reasons I've gone so slowly with this whole 'buy a Windows laptop' thing. I really need to do it.
Ya got me there I know Windows 10 you can make look like old Windows style but ain't got a clue about Windows 11 but I bet you can do the same in Windows 11.

I bet you can do the same in Windows 11.

I hope so. I really don't care for other interfaces. And, yes, the task bar needs to be on the bottom! I should be able to disable window decorations too! I don't need the screen real estate being taken up by a decoration telling me that I'm using an application. I know I'm using an application! You don't need to put "Firefox blah blah blah" at the top of the screen. I know that I'm using Firefox!

As for replacing caps...

I do know of people who use a toaster oven to do reflow. So, that doesn't sound too bad. I have a fairly fancy 'lab' in my basement that includes things like a digital soldering machine and scope. But, I really don't use any of it these days.

Hmm... Some off-topic digression...

Actually, the last time I soldered much of anything, it was a guitar pedal. I've done some kit types of things, like I made my own calculator and digital clock. But, I have done a bunch of guitar-related stuff - just not lately. I can change out pickups, pots, caps, etc... I just don't do it. I do like sometimes 'wasting' time building stuff like guitar pedals. I've even built my own amp, but that was ages ago.

Ah well... I have an equally built out wood shop that gets almost no use. I built a bunch of the cabinets for the house in there. The last purchase was a half-decade ago when I bought a subtractive CNC (router). I opened the crate and have never plugged it in or learned to use it. It was STEEPLY on sale and I was drinking, so I bought it.

Here ya go.

I don't know about putting motherboards in a toaster oven.
I'd be afraid of melting the plastic pieces on the motherboard and any other coating on the motherboard.

Recapping a motherboard is an easy task requires a cheap 30 watt soldering iron some good rosin core electronics solder and a good wet sponge.

A good de-soldering bubble or solder vac is useful however not 100% necessary depending on your soldering skills.

Of all the tools patience is the most important and the second most important is don't buy cheap capacitors.

This is an excellent website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online