Computers Have Been Gradually Going Against the Unix Philosophy

D

Deleted member 111282

As computers have evolved over the last several decades, there's been a number of improvements made, but there's also been a number of dumb decisions made, and one of those decisions was to make computers all-in-one devices. When I say "all-in-one", I'm not just referring to these modern desktops where the monitor is attached to the computer itself (that's also dumb, especially when the monitor no longer works), but I'm also referring to how computers can play games, music, movies, or ebooks. While you can read ebooks using the image viewer in Linux, and stream games, music, and movies through some online platform, its a challenge to play physical releases of games, music, and movies in Linux because of DRM. However, if you play games on a game console, CDs in a CD player, or blu-rays in a blu-ray player, they all work perfectly fine because those devices are specifically made for those formats, and they should always be the devices you use for playing those formats. The only two things you should be using your computer for is accessing the web and running a program, such as Virtualbox. I should make it clear that using your computer to watch a 5 minute video about Linux is perfectly fine, because that's completely different from a TV show or movie.

Thankfully, because nostalgia is profitable these days, vinyl records are coming back, homebrewed video games is breathing new life into older consoles (though it still has ways to go), and VHS tapes, DVDs, and blu-rays are still being bought from second-hand stores. That being said, I encourage everyone reading this to take my advice and make it eventually become the norm.

And yet, here is a relatively new to Linux guy, who just cannot stop extolling its virtues.
If we were to say to him what you have written below, I have no doubt he would probably choke on his meal....such would be effect of mirth upon him
The only two things you should be using your computer for is accessing the web and running a program, such as Virtualbox.

and as for games, he is an obviously happy camper ...see below

While you can read ebooks using the image viewer in Linux, and stream games, music, and movies through some online platform, its a challenge to play physical releases of games, music, and movies in Linux because of DRM. However, if you play games on a game console, CDs in a CD player, or blu-rays in a blu-ray player, they all work perfectly fine because those devices are specifically made for those formats, and they should always be the devices you use for playing those formats.

Why would you read a book via image viewer?...I would have thought the ebook viewer would be the go.
All in one pc...hugely profitable for the big manufacturers....sold by jb hifi because they are so profitable and popular. Good long warranties.and good price points compared to desktops etc

Unix philosophy?

The bit I like is :
When in doubt, use brute force.

its a challenge to play physical releases of games, music, and movies in Linux because of DRM.
I have no problems playing DVD movies or music CDs in Linux.

If you're streaming movies online enable DRM in whatever browser you're using and problem solved.

I have no idea about playing games in Linux.

I have no use for all in one computers and wouldn't ever buy one.

The only two things you should be using your computer for is accessing the web and running a program
Isn't watching Netflix accessing the web? Isn't a game, a program too? Sorry, but this is nonsense. I use my pc for everything, everything! From gaming to watching movies and TV shows, listening to music, reading ebooks(with calibre)and comics(with mcomix)and everything else I want to, because well, why not?

Last edited:
All the issues you talk about are mostly software engineering issues that you are projecting onto hardware due to your own personal bias. The concept isn't flawed, at best. It's the execution that is flawed.

How about you toss out your smartphone and go back to one of these old Nokia phones. I mean cell phones weren't meant for Internet access, games, taking pictures, calendars,

641a50f1-a910-4ad3-a28c-b7b521f2815a-large3x4_606pxNokia_3310_in_hand.jpg

We can take the heat and AC out of your car because it's a car. Not a heater or AC unit.

The point I'm trying to make is what you're railing against, goes against the best thing about technology. Having it at your fingertips whenever you want or need it. You can't take 500 different devices with you. Having an all-in-one device is paramount to the real convenience of it all.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. I use my pc for everything, everything!
Yep I use my computer for everything, streaming movies / music / TV shows and just about everything else I can use it for for everyday things.

As much as I hate my smartphone it is very useful and noway would I return to one of these archaic cell phones.

Being able to stream music, series and movies, as well has having online accounts where you can access your video-game collection is a lot better for the environment because of no need for extra plastic to package them and to then throw it out again to then repeat the process for every consumer on this planet again.

Last edited:
Being able to stream music, series and movies, as well has having online accounts where you can access your video-game collection is a lot better for the environment because of no need for extra plastic to package them and to then throw it out again to then repeat the process for every consumer on this planet again.

The cost of streaming comes at giving up control over the format, and the algorithm knowing what content your consuming. With physical media, you get to watch, listen, or play it whenever you want, you get to keep it as long as you want, you can sell it (and if it's in the public domain or it's open-source, you can make and sell copies of it), and you have no big company being nosy.

As far as your concern about the plastic casing ending up in the dump, some people do put it in the recycling bin. Its unfortunate that not everyone does that, but that's besides the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you read a book via image viewer?...I would have thought the ebook viewer would be the go.

I meant to say Document Viewer, but the Ebook Viewer works just as fine. When I torrented comics, I often read them in the Document Viewer.

I have no problems playing DVD movies or music CDs in Linux.

Obviously there's a workaround required, because unlike Windows, its not as simple as putting them into the disk drive and hitting play. Whenever I've tried playing DVDs, I couldn't get them to work at all. Because you're able to do so, more power to you.

All the issues you talk about are mostly software engineering issues that you are projecting onto hardware due to your own personal bias. The concept isn't flawed, at best. It's the execution that is flawed.

How about you toss out your smartphone and go back to one of these old Nokia phones. I mean cell phones weren't meant for Internet access, games, taking pictures, calendars,

641a50f1-a910-4ad3-a28c-b7b521f2815a-large3x4_606pxNokia_3310_in_hand.jpg

We can take the heat and AC out of your car because it's a car. Not a heater or AC unit.

The point I'm trying to make is what you're railing against, goes against the best thing about technology. Having it at your fingertips whenever you want or need it. You can't take 500 different devices with you. Having an all-in-one device is paramount to the real convenience of it all.

Being that I'm a 90's child, I can remember a time before all of these all-in-one and smart devices became the norm. Because life was more simple back then, I'm perfectly fine with calling myself a neo-luddite. I honestly don't see the point in these smart devices, because they cause more problems than solutions (such as being hacked, Big Tech data-mining it's users, or people becoming addicted to their devices). I do have an Alcatel Go Flip 3, and it's always been a piece of crap. Despite it's lackluster performace, it's not as gimmicky as these smartphones that focus more on distracting things like the camera, nor did it cost 2 or 3 car payments to afford. My ideal phone would be those qwerty phones (as I had one of those at one point), but with a rugged case. From what I've researched, Blackberry still makes them, but still rather expensive, and they've now been turned into smartphones. If I could afford it, I'd get one, and put Lineage on it. Yes, it's a smartphone, but at least its one I can see using.

While convience can make things more useful, George Carlin once said in an interview that everyone wants a phone that will make them lazier. If I don't feel the need to take a music player with me, then I won't take it. The same thing goes for my DSLR camera (which actually takes better pictures than the cameras on the smartphones I did use back then).

Isn't watching Netflix accessing the web? Isn't a game, a program too?

Yes, Netflix is access the web, but probably if these movie and game rental stores changed their business models where you could own the rentals instead, that could've made Netflix dead on arrival. Yes, a game is a program, but unless you used an emulator, you can't play Mario on Linux, and even if you did, it wouldn't feel the same as playing it on the NES.

Obviously there's a workaround required, because unlike Windows, its not as simple as putting them into the disk drive and hitting play. Whenever I've tried playing DVDs, I couldn't get them to work at all. Because you're able to do so, more power to you.
You're probably using Linux Mint.

Open terminal.

Run this command.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Then run this command.
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
Have a read.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably using Linux Mint.

Open terminal.

Run this command.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Then run this command.
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
Have a read.

I am using Mint. While I appreciate your help, I wasn't looking for it.

That is just plain rude. This is a forum which thrives on help. Be appreciative. Dont knock it.

That is just plain rude. This is a forum which thrives on help. Be appreciative. Dont knock it.

While I can understand how me saying "thanks, but no thanks" was taken the wrong way (and I apologize for that), I chose to not take his advice because I'm more comfortable with having one device for each format. I'll be more careful with the words I choose next time.

Members online

Latest posts