Computer randomly restarts while using any other os than Windows 10

Eroscuk

Reaction score
Credits
I use Windows 10 on my default ssd drive. I first installed Ubuntu to my secondary hard disk in summer 2019 and there were no problems. Then I installed it again several months later (because the partitions ubuntu ran on were formatted) and the computer started to frequently restart. I checked the temps, looked through the logs, checked if ”secure boot“ and “fast boot” were disabled and there were nothing suspicious. Few days ago I installed Elementary OS to that same hard drive and the problem still persists. This also happens on live usb and one time it restarted right in the middle of the installation of the OS. I’m not sure if this is a hardware problem because Windows runs absolutely fine. The restarts usually seem to happen like 10 minutes after I first boot up linux. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I’m not sure if this is a hardware problem because Windows runs absolutely fine.
Sure sounds like a hardware problem to me... with the other drive, not the Windows SSD. First thing I would do is unplug and re-plug the Linux drive data cable on both ends, at the hard drive and at the motherboard. Make sure these connections are secure. I'd also unplug and re-plug the power cable on the hard drive end, just in case... though the data cable is more likely the trouble than power. If this is a laptop, take the Linux drive out and put it back in.

After re-seating the connections, just run it to see if the rebooting has stopped. You could also try running some diagnostics like smartmontools (see here or here).

Members online

No members online now.