Computer keeps freezing

moooooo

Reaction score
Credits
No idea why. I think it's hardware based. I replaced the GPU and PSU and the problem still happens. How can I see what the cause is? I want to know because I'm parting my PC and don't want to sell anyone anything faulty.

Update with more details:

Sorry, I've just been busy and my mind keeps running in all sorts of directions about different things. I will give more details and try to be as thorough as possible.
Everything was working fine. I had a 1050 Ti GPU in and a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU. I had a 1 TB HDD and a 128 GB SSD which had Windows 10 installed on it. My PSU was a Corsair 550M. My RAM, 2 sticks of 8GB 2666 RAM.

I downgraded my GPU to make some money. Then it started freezing. Not slowing down, not temporarily freezing and then coming back. Just, out of nowhere the entire screen would freeze. Happens once, okay. A second time, fine. Well, I was getting upset and mad about what Windows 11 would bring plus I thought the problem might be software. So, I installed Linux Mint. Nice times, everything was good. Then I was doing some of my writing in libreoffice and it froze. I got mad that I had to press the power button to get the computer to work again and my stuff didn't save. I figured, eventually, it was a hardware issue. Don't know why it took so long to figure out, but it did. Well, the logical conclusion was it was the GPU. Bought a new one. A 1060. Replaced the other gpu. Same problem. Then I replaced the aforementioned PSU with an EVGA 650 W modular PSU. Same problem. And here I am.

Last edited:

What does your /var/log/messages say? boot.log? Do you see any errors?

It could be a heat issue. How long does the system stay up before it freezes? Does it only freeze while doing something CPU intensive? Can you run an app that monitors your CPU temp and monitor where it is when it freezes?

It could be a memory issue too. You can download memtestx86 and run a memory test to see if their is something wrong with one of your DIMMs.

I would first detail out how and when it freezes. With no details, all we can do is guess at the root cause.

will it run a live Linux install ?
if so run something like Ubuntu or mint live
open a terminal and enter inxi -Fnx [post the results]
this will give a run down of the machine and its hardware & drivers It might show a problem as you have been inside it..

What does your /var/log/messages say? boot.log? Do you see any errors?

It could be a heat issue. How long does the system stay up before it freezes? Does it only freeze while doing something CPU intensive? Can you run an app that monitors your CPU temp and monitor where it is when it freezes?

It could be a memory issue too. You can download memtestx86 and run a memory test to see if their is something wrong with one of your DIMMs.

I would first detail out how and when it freezes. With no details, all we can do is guess at the root cause.
Sorry, I really should have given more information in my post. So it will freeze up completely, with no peripheries working and the mouse not moving. It won't happen when I'm doing something intensive, it will just happen, randomly, like when I'm writing or just leave the computer on for a bit and grab some food, I'll come back and it will be frozen. Hell, it will even freeze on the lock screen.

Sorry, I really should have given more information in my post
and more is needed... the result of inxi , the make model of your box, what components you have changed
I have a couple of ideas but as i do not have long distance x-ray vision I cant see for myself

Sorry, I really should have given more information in my post. So it will freeze up completely, with no peripheries working and the mouse not moving. It won't happen when I'm doing something intensive, it will just happen, randomly, like when I'm writing or just leave the computer on for a bit and grab some food, I'll come back and it will be frozen. Hell, it will even freeze on the lock screen.
Sounds like it could be a memory leak and you're running out of memory. Does the system start to get slow right before it freezes?

I would start the machine up and then run "top" or run "watch free" and watch your free memory.

Sounds like it could be a memory leak and you're running out of memory. Does the system start to get slow right before it freezes?

I would start the machine up and then run "top" or run "watch free" and watch your free memory.
It doesn't become slow then stop, it just stops.

I think dcbrown73 mentioned earlier about checking some logs. What I normally do, is use journalctl to filter for errors and the try and pin point the problem.

For example, if you run the command below, it will output the errors on your system.

Code:
journalctl -a -p err

Can you spot any errors that might be related? You can also paste the errors you're seeing on this forum if you want more folks to take a look at.

if you want more folks to take a look at.

He has been inside it swapping parts the most likely cause is something he has done, as it appears it was working before . but he seems reluctant to give the necessary information

I think dcbrown73 mentioned earlier about checking some logs. What I normally do, is use journalctl to filter for errors and the try and pin point the problem.

For example, if you run the command below, it will output the errors on your system.

Code:
journalctl -a -p err

Can you spot any errors that might be related? You can also paste the errors you're seeing on this forum if you want more folks to take a look at.
So there seems to be a lot of errors.

Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): devid 2 uuid 82cc8b96-ffca-4cdf-afe2-e6527a866984 is missing
Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): failed to read the system array: -2
Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): open_ctree failed
Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): devid 2 uuid 82cc8b96-ffca-4cdf-afe2-e6527a866984 is missing
Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): failed to read the system array: -2
Aug 06 22:35:14 ubuntu kernel: BTRFS error (device sda2): open_ctree failed

Does this help?

What is mounted to sda2?

I'm guessing there are more logs with the btrfs error. I never ran btrfs as I never felt it was stable enough for production use. Even on my home servers I used zfs instead via fuse. zfs is far more stable than btrfs IMHO.

I've never ran this, but you can run "btrfs check" on the btrfs drive and see if it returns an error. DO NOT ADD THE "--repair" parameter to that command.. If you do, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

He has been inside it swapping parts the most likely cause is something he has done, as it appears it was working before . but he seems reluctant to give the necessary information

Sorry, I've just been busy and my mind keeps running in all sorts of directions about different things. I will give more details and try to be as thorough as possible.
Everything was working fine. I had a 1050 Ti GPU in and a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU. I had a 1 TB HDD and a 128 GB SSD which had Windows 10 installed on it. My PSU was a Corsair 550M. My RAM, 2 sticks of 8GB 2666 RAM.

I downgraded my GPU to make some money. Then it started freezing. Not slowing down, not temporarily freezing and then coming back. Just, out of nowhere the entire screen would freeze. Happens once, okay. A second time, fine. Well, I was getting upset and mad about what Windows 11 would bring plus I thought the problem might be software. So, I installed Linux Mint. Nice times, everything was good. Then I was doing some of my writing in libreoffice and it froze. I got mad that I had to press the power button to get the computer to work again and my stuff didn't save. I figured, eventually, it was a hardware issue. Don't know why it took so long to figure out, but it did. Well, the logical conclusion was it was the GPU. Bought a new one. A 1060. Replaced the other gpu. Same problem. Then I replaced the aforementioned PSU with an EVGA 650 W modular PSU. Same problem. And here I am.

What is mounted to sda2?

I'm guessing there are more logs with the btrfs error. I never ran btrfs as I never felt it was stable enough for production use. Even on my home servers I used zfs instead via fuse. zfs is far more stable than btrfs IMHO.

I've never ran this, but you can run "btrfs check" on the btrfs drive and see if it returns an error. DO NOT ADD THE "--repair" parameter to that command.. If you do, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Dumb question. Would it be btrfs check sda2 because that's not working

sda2 is the device that is getting the filesystem error.

Run "df -T"
Find the line with sda2 and look under mounted on (last column) and whatever that says. (say /)
then type "btrfs check /" or whatever it says instead of just /

sda2 is the device that is getting the filesystem error.

Run "df -T"
Find the line with sda2 and look under mounted on (last column) and whatever that says. (say /)
then type "btrfs check /" or whatever it says instead of just /
confusion

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-08-07 01-15-49.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-07 01-15-49.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 335
Are you booted from a cd or usb stick and not from the disk getting errors?

I'm only seeing a squashfs filesystem type. Where is your btrfs filesystem?

So you have swapped out the AMD Rizen gpu card for a Nvida... check the new card is seated securely and the right divers have loaded
did you clean the machine Before you started swapping out parts, if not there is a possibility some muck may have got in the socket and is causing a dry joint [intermittent connection]
Did you remove replace or dislodge anything else ..if you dislodged the cpu heat sink then that will cause overheating, [modern cpu in a home environment usually run at between 40 &60 degC if its running in excess of 75 deg C I would be worried]
when I am working on any machine I always get the muck out first, and although I may be only swapping out one component I normally remove , clean and re-seat all the components.

not being into programming and defiantly not windows, I have to think back to the old days, and ask when you installed W10 did you first install the motherboard drivers for the new card?

Still haven't see the inxi report. Please use a live usb of Mint or MX and give the output of the terminal command
Code:
inxi-Fxxzr

If your using the Nvidia gpu what driver are you using?

Members online