Computer Genius Wannabe

K

Keith Kennedy

Newbie on comps. Want Linux as primary OS. Have external hard drive. Have Gigabyte B85M-HD3 if info necessary. I know I need to change boot options in BIOS. That's all I know. I want to do this correctly and right the first time. Have Mageia 4, Ubuntu 13.10 on DVD. Need help please.

Hello Keith,
You can install Ubuntu via USB Thumb Drive.To create a bootable thumb drive,all you need is a thumb drive which has at least 4 GB(recommended thumb drive had formatted a whole) free space and download universal usb installer(wwwpendrivelinuxcom).And then,you run universal usb installer.CHOOSE linux distro as Ubuntu.BROWSE your ubuntu 11.10 ISO file(.RAR file).If your ubuntu 13.10 is extracted,you had to zip into rar file.Otherwise you can download Ubuntu ISO file in wwwubuntucom(official ubuntu website).It is completed after a few minutes.In BIOS Setting, you need to change first boot as usb removable drive(optional: you should unplug cd/dvd drive).You are sure about that you connect bootable thumb drive to PC.At first, you see two options 1.Try Ubuntu and 2.Install Ubuntu.You should select option 2 if you want to install.Installation takes at least 20 mins long.After installation completes, ubuntu request you to restart.NOTE THAT, you must disconnect bootable thumb drive immediately after you restart PC.
Have fun with Ubuntu

Newbie on comps. Want Linux as primary OS. Have external hard drive. Have Gigabyte B85M-HD3 if info necessary. I know I need to change boot options in BIOS. That's all I know. I want to do this correctly and right the first time. Have Mageia 4, Ubuntu 13.10 on DVD. Need help please.

Just boot from the Ubuntu DVD, choose to install software, fill in the blanks to personalize the install. Ubuntu is about that easy. Then, if for some reason you have an issue, come back and ask for help.