Comprehensive list of Linux compatible notebooks?

YuriyI

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I want to buy used notebook reliably compatible with Linux.
Is there a comprehensive list of Linux compatible notebooks?
I've read somewhere about "Linux certified" notebooks, but my web search returns only website listing models of year 2021.

No such list exists, though stick with some of the main brands and a used laptop should be pretty likely to work. It's a laptop, so Intel GPU is adequate and sure to work. Your wireless adapter is likely to work out of the box - if the laptop is a couple of years old. If not, use a USB to Ethernet adapter (or tether your phone) and grab the code from GitHub to make it work.

Things mostly Just Work® in Linux, especially if it's not brand new hardware.

Thanks.
Apparently, there was progress in hardware driver development for Linux. I was interested in Linux several years ago but was stopped by warnings like "your WiFi adapter may not function". Also lack of gaming capabilities was a deterrent, and at that time I used PC mostly for gaming.

I have been using Linux for years as well as gaming on Linux, never had any trouble with hardware and gaming on on Linux has gotten easier than ever before in the last couple of years.

I have used Lenovo Thinkpads for years and they have almost always been linux friendly. You can pick up refurbished ones at good prices for a few vendors. Good luck with your search.

Last edited: