Completely new to linux

P

Phen0mable

Hi chaps. I'm completely new to Linux. I've installed it today a mint 13 version and realised that I don't have a drivers. I use creative recon sound card and it doesn't work. Do you know where I can find a drivers to my soundcard ??

My second question is - what Linux is best to have in you opinion ? is it ubuntu, is it cinnamon or mint 13 ??

Are you sure it's the driver for the card? I'm not an expert on this, but my recommendation would be to go to the Linux Mint forums at http://forums.linuxmint.com/ and search for "no sound"... Usually, for something like this, someone else has had a similar problem and you'll find the answer.
For the second question, I don't think there's a "best" one. Try a few that are designed for newbies. Right now, I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 and have found it to work very well. If you've come from Windows, a KDE-based distribution like Kubuntu will seem more familiar. I've used Bodhi Linux recently on my netbook and liked it, but it is different since it uses Enlightenment. I've also got Ubuntu 12.04 with both Unity and Gnome 3 installed alongside Kubuntu on my desktop and use it when I get bored and want a different look. You can also try Live versions of Mageia and OpenSuse, which are both pretty easy for beginners. One of the cool things about Linux is there are lots and lots of options. Check out Distrowatch.com.

thank you for reply OldSmonky2 i appreciate it. Well I have been digging for few hours last night on Google etc. and find information that to my sound card I will not find drivers for linux yet. That's the pity but nevertheless. I have left mint installed along with windows 7 and to do what I want to do on linux no sound is fine ;-)

Members online

Latest posts