Completely new to linux advise needed.

L!nuxN00b

Reaction score
Credits
Dear community,

I've always been a mac user for more than 14 years. Recently I changed paths and started in IT in my job we work a lot with windows 10-11 pro/enterprise with azure and microsoft 365, windows server for on premise domain etc.

In my enthusiasm I have started with my own build with following specs:
  • intel i9 13900k
  • asus 4070 ti oc
  • g.skill ddr 5 2x 32gb
-msi tomahawk wifi z790 mobo
- samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd 2tb

Firstly I was considering having windows as the main OS on my system. I want to simulate enterprise client systems with dc and clients for windows. And having linux OS in my hyper-v to start learning about programming and AI machine learning. As windows has a lot of built-in features and good drivers this could be an 'easy' way to go.

However I have friends in IT that advise me to go linux as it is open source and much more safe than windows 11.

My goal here is to have an OS that fits my system specs and needs of a workstation. That I can use for heavy workloads and multiple Vm's learn more about software cloud computing, networking, security and networking.

Please help me out I can be a quick study I just need some pointers.

But some factors are common across all types of work. These include
1) Stability
2) Performance
3) Support
4) Security

Stability refers to the ability of the operating system to behave exactly the same way every time and being fault-tolerant so that small mistakes made by the user should not end up with an unusable system.

Performance is very important when choosing a Linux distro as performance and productivity go hand in hand. The desktop environment is usually the main resource hog as the main focus of development in the desktop environment arena these days is more on aesthetics rather than performance and productivity.

Support - where do I go to get help when things don't work right? Does the distribution have a forum for help or at least point in to somewhere else to get help? - You have to be aware of IBCAK Errors (In Between Chair and Keyboard) yep user errors

Security is basically protecting the system against threats - Does the OS have quick updates on security bugs, does it have a built in firewall to secure through port control

And finally stable software support can I get quality software that I need from the repositories of the OS?

So my personal top picks are Debian/Ubuntu based versions of Linux - Arch based is not as stable at least as Debian defines stability, since the latest files may corrupt an older program - so there is going to be some trade off there - more stability or more latest software

Dear community,

I've always been a mac user for more than 14 years. Recently I changed paths and started in IT in my job we work a lot with windows 10-11 pro/enterprise with azure and microsoft 365, windows server for on premise domain etc.

In my enthusiasm I have started with my own build with following specs:
  • intel i9 13900k
  • asus 4070 ti oc
  • g.skill ddr 5 2x 32gb
-msi tomahawk wifi z790 mobo
- samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd 2tb

Firstly I was considering having windows as the main OS on my system. I want to simulate enterprise client systems with dc and clients for windows. And having linux OS in my hyper-v to start learning about programming and AI machine learning. As windows has a lot of built-in features and good drivers this could be an 'easy' way to go.

However I have friends in IT that advise me to go linux as it is open source and much more safe than windows 11.

My goal here is to have an OS that fits my system specs and needs of a workstation. That I can use for heavy workloads and multiple Vm's learn more about software cloud computing, networking, security and networking.

Please help me out I can be a quick study I just need some pointers.
You can do both Windows and Linux as a dual boot.

In terms of what you should do, depends on your goals... Linux is very common in an enterprise like Windows. If you want to go the route of DevOps, Linux is a common first step, although Windows fits in DevOps as well, just not as much as Linux.

I started out with Windows, and ended up on Linux many years later... both are good to learn for IT.

The only point I will make. Is components and drivers, Most drivers are FOSS and not supplied by the manufacturers. It can take up to about 9 months for the boys and girls who back engineer Linux drivers to catch up with cutting edge components. MSI wi-fi usually have Realtek chipsets, which will probably need to be downloaded and installed.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

Recently I changed paths and started in IT in my job we work a lot with windows 10-11 pro/enterprise with azure and microsoft 365, windows server for on premise domain etc.
We do not know much about your working environment and your job role. If I were working in the IT department of a company that is running Windows 10/11 Pro/Enterprise, Azure, Microsoft 365, and Windows Server for the on premises Windows domain, I would want to have a Windows computer for ease of managing that Microsoft shop.

Unless there is a significant proportion of non-Windows users to support, I would want the same Windows system that the people in the compony are using. Unless Linux offers a significant advantage that I do not understand, I would not make it the primary operating system or even a dual-boot. Put Linux on a virtual machine if you want it.

Sorry, I know everybody likes Linux. So do I, but if you're working in a Windows shop, don't make your job harder for yourself.

We do not know much about your working environment and your job role. If I were working in the IT department of a company that is running Windows 10/11 Pro/Enterprise, Azure, Microsoft 365, and Windows Server for the on premises Windows domain, I would want to have a Windows computer for ease of managing that Microsoft shop.

Unless there is a significant proportion of non-Windows users to support, I would want the same Windows system that the people in the compony are using. Unless Linux offers a significant advantage that I do not understand, I would not make it the primary operating system or even a dual-boot. Put Linux on a virtual machine if you want it.

Sorry, I know everybody likes Linux. So do I, but if you're working in a Windows shop, don't make your job harder for yourself.

It’s not for my current job role. My current job is more for gaining an overall experience. It’s administrating/support. I already got some Microsoft certifications and comptia as well. As for my job I already have access to all there is to learn within Microsoft and have even 2 laptops they provided.

I just want an OS with good drivers for my system. Which has a strong kernel for demanding virtualization tasks where I can isolate my VM’s. Start programming having good libraries voor ai purposes and dev ops. Most importantly play around with and edit within. Also try VR game streaming. Trying to set up cloud servers/ dc servers. Even DMZ’s/NAS etc. This setup will be the centre of my communication with future builds and extensions.

I definitely don’t want to dual boot. I have a strong enough setup for bare bone windows virtualization in which I can play evenso and isolate that from my main os.

I’ve heard Linux has very good ai libraries. In the future I’ll probably buy another gpu for Nvidia sync driver for even more ai computing.

I also have a MacBook Air which will be my portable setup that I would love to sync with my main os. I know in windows it’s nearly impossible. But with Linux I have read that there are versions also compatible with mac.

I saw some very thoughtful and helpful responses. Thank you guys for taking the time to provide me with insightful feedback.

But some factors are common across all types of work. These include
1) Stability
2) Performance
3) Support
4) Security

Stability refers to the ability of the operating system to behave exactly the same way every time and being fault-tolerant so that small mistakes made by the user should not end up with an unusable system.

Performance is very important when choosing a Linux distro as performance and productivity go hand in hand. The desktop environment is usually the main resource hog as the main focus of development in the desktop environment arena these days is more on aesthetics rather than performance and productivity.

Support - where do I go to get help when things don't work right? Does the distribution have a forum for help or at least point in to somewhere else to get help? - You have to be aware of IBCAK Errors (In Between Chair and Keyboard) yep user errors

Security is basically protecting the system against threats - Does the OS have quick updates on security bugs, does it have a built in firewall to secure through port control

And finally stable software support can I get quality software that I need from the repositories of the OS?

So my personal top picks are Debian/Ubuntu based versions of Linux - Arch based is not as stable at least as Debian defines stability, since the latest files may corrupt an older program - so there is going to be some trade off there - more stability or more latest software
Thank you, this is helping me out so much in gaining more info towards a specific os from Linux to choose.

I just want an OS with good drivers for my system. Which has a strong kernel for demanding virtualization tasks where I can isolate my VM’s. Start programming having good libraries voor ai purposes and dev ops. Most importantly play around with and edit within. Also try VR game streaming. Trying to set up cloud servers/ dc servers. Even DMZ’s/NAS etc. This setup will be the centre of my communication with future builds and extensions.

I definitely don’t want to dual boot. I have a strong enough setup for bare bone windows virtualization in which I can play evenso and isolate that from my main os.
Sounds like your best choice will be vmware esx.

Last edited:

Members online