Compiling the Kernel and difficulties

Mohamad.1996

Reaction score
Credits
Hi There! I downloaded new kernel from kernel.org That's it > 5.5.7 and after that I compiled it but I am afraid that couldn't compile it correctly I also use Ubuntu 19.04. when I did reboot after minutes I saw this I can run very very few commands let's see Has anybody tried this way? or is it correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    190 KB · Views: 326

hello and welcome.

i cannot help with your main question but are you aware that support for 19.04 finished in january?

i would upgrade before going any further.

wizardfromoz

19.10 has support until july, or else 23 april ubuntu release their next lts 20.04 'focal fossa'.

other than that 18.04 is supported until april 2023

wizard

Bash is returning 'apt-get' not found.

Run apt with sudo:
sudo apt-get update <or>
sudo apt update

If the command line interpreter continues to return that apt-get is not found than it could be that apt is either missing or badly mis-configured.

Bash is returning 'apt-get' not found.

Run apt with sudo:
sudo apt-get update <or>
sudo apt update

If the command line interpreter continues to return that apt-get is not found than it could be that apt is either missing or badly mis-configured.

@Alexzee - take another look at the screenshot. The OPs prompt says initramfs. I don't think they're in bash. Their kernel hasn't fully booted. It looks more like the grub recovery prompt or something. It's some kind of recovery shell.....

Hi There! I downloaded new kernel from kernel.org That's it > 5.5.7 and after that I compiled it but I am afraid that couldn't compile it correctly I also use Ubuntu 19.04. when I did reboot after minutes I saw this I can run very very few commands let's see Has anybody tried this way? or is it correct?

@Mohamad.1996 - What steps did you take when you compiled/installed the kernel?

Maybe you missed a step somewhere? Or did something incorrectly?

The process for compiling and installing the kernel manually is documented here:

The above link talks about the 5.4.x version of the kernel. But the process should be exactly the same for 5.5.x.

It's been a number of years since I tried manually building the kernel, so I'm a little bit rusty. Without knowing what you actually did when you built/installed the kernel - it's difficult for me to tell exactly where you went wrong! But you must know what you actually did, so take a look at the article in the link above and see if you can work out where you went wrong.

JasKinasis,
Your right.
That's a recovery shell.

If the kernel hasn't fully booted up and the emergency shell appears I think something went wrong with the compilation.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts