Compatibility

From this website : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/microcode#TOC-Intel-processors
I need newer microcode to match my bios update.

Intel Ver: July 07, 2017
MSI Bios: Nov, 08, 2017

The website above says that "Check the date of the microcode package: it needs to be newer than your BIOS / UEFI! "

OK, I'm back... but the Wizard is probably asleep down under. So y'all know... I'm on U.S. Central Time, like Chicago.

Cody, gotta keep you on the straight and narrow (or else I need more beer).... your previous "correction" about what BIOS update you flashed indicated Mortar v23, which was dated 2017-08-10 --- not what you show in the above quote. The first release of the Mortar BIOS shows 2016-12-29 (YYYY-MM-DD), so I'm fairly confident that your update is August 10, 2017.

The microcode dated in Synaptic is older, and all of the microcode updates listed in the Debian repositories (from the article you found) are also older than the one installed by your BIOS flash. There is nothing newer anywhere we've found so far. The instructions in the article are very clear, and without more info I totally agree: do not install older microcode than what is in your UEFI/BIOS.

Until we wake up the Wizard, we can try a few things that should not interfere with any of his plans (I hope). This is a lot like starting over... sorry.

1. If I read your last screenshot correctly.... you have a 2nd hard drive inside (1 TB)? If so, is it too much trouble to remove it? EDIT: I'm sorry... just unplugging it is fine (power and data)... no need to physically remove it.

2. And so far, as I understand it, your have made changes to UEFI so that it is now in Legacy Mode. Ubuntu is one of the better distros... it should work both with UEFI mode and also with Secure Boot. If you are willing, I would look for the setting in UEFI to "Restore defaults" and reset it totally. This should put it back to UEFI mode and Secure Boot both (and maybe other things, if you've been tweaking it). Doing this may mean that you'll have to quickly hit some F-key when starting the computer so that it goes to a "Boot Menu"... if you aren't quick enough, it will probably just report "no operating system found" and you can CNTL-ALT-DEL to do it again. At the moment... I think I'd rather you not change the UEFI boot order from the defaults though (the default may or may not go to your DVD drive first).

3. If you remove the extra hard drive, and reset the UEFI to defaults, then try to do a full install of Ubuntu on to the hard drive from the DVD, telling it to "Use entire disk" again. I would accept all the default choices, but pay particular attention to the partitioning area, and take notes maybe. Do not use encryption and do not use LVM, as Wizard previously instructed. If anything during setup seems weird, make a note and let's discuss it. Installing to the hard drive should be a fairly fast and straightforward process though. When done, it ejects the DVD, hit the Restart button.... and.... ????

Just for our further knowledge.... what type of hard drives are you using? Both SSD?

here are the answers:
1. I really dont want to remove the 1 tb drive. i did have a thought that its trying to boot from there for some reason.
2. I have tried with defalut bios settings, Ive manually dictated the boot priorety, no go on any configuration. the two available settings are legacy+UEFI. thats the one i can run ubuntu from.
There is a "boot option #1" setting for the dvd drive that is enabled by default. it might have some reason why it keeps asking to insert a proper boot device.
3. ok ill disconnect the drive. the TB is a hybred seagate, the other is a SSD that mounts directly in the board.

Yeah, you see where I'm going with all this. Unplugging the TB is fine... I just want it out of the picture (probably for the duration of the rest of our troubleshooting).

OK on your Boot Menu. It would probably show more if more were available (like USB). My boot menu shows a bit of a different option: it will let me boot the DVD in UEFI mode (if the disk is capable, which Ubuntu is).... or it will let me boot in Legacy mode. If you have no choice like this, then it must be set strictly by your UEFI settings, either one or the other.

UEFI boot is the better choice. I realize that Legacy is the only that has worked... but after you unplug the TB hard drive, I'd like for you to try setting to UEFI boot to see if it will install. "Legacy boot" is 1980's technology, and you have a Kaby Lake capable motherboard.... it just seems wrong to not use UEFI mode when Ubuntu is capable of this.

The default is legacy+ufo
It will auto switch

Not really... or it would not install Ubuntu in Legacy. Auto would choose UEFI boot with a UEFI system, such as Ubuntu. Above (#124) you said "two available settings are legacy+UEFI". Please clarify for me.

legacy+ufei
and
ufei

two availabel options

Please try UEFI only, after unplugging the TB drive. Hey, it's a crapshoot... I know. But something is not going right here, and honestly, UEFI is the preferred method now. It should not refuse to boot the DVD, and it should not refuse to install, because Ubuntu can do this.

With TB disconnected, and in UEFI only mode, when starting the computer.... go for your Boot Menu, and choose your SATA DVD. Does that fail?

EDIT:
Following the above instructions should boot the DVD... there is little reason not to. If it fails to boot, then I'd suggest plugging the TB back in, and unplug the smaller hard drive, and then try the above again. If it still fails to boot on the DVD in UEFI-only mode.... then, as Wizard commented earlier (#116), please tell us more about how you "verified" your Ubuntu .iso download. This is another crapshoot, I know, because it has booted and run in Legacy mode from the DVD... but if there is some corruption on your download, any kind of weird thing can happen. And this continues to be a weird kind of a problem. :confused::D

Last edited:
Morning all :)

My goodness, Cody ... in a past life you have run over Buddha and wiped the smile from his dial (face). If you get through this, you will get through anything.

I got your pic at #120 sideways, perhaps because I live in Australia and we stand on our heads, so I am repeating it here so I can read it better.

lrR8U2d.png

What I find interesting is that in 2 out of 3 cases (and ta [Aussie for thanks] for the output) I had you issue the commands using sudo and there were no dramas, but that when you issued the command to chroot, you got the syntax error.

That syntax error in itself is curious. I have seen it before (read it) where the last part features eg `(' , `{' , other characters, and also `do' - but these are all scripting or PHP coding style terms. I have not ever seen it with sudo and I cannot find help for it.

sudo is an acronym for "substitute user do" although many say "superuser do", doesn't matter but "do" does feature. That is the only commonality I can see.

sudo chroot should kickstart what is known as /bin/bash, which is to do with a command shell.

The usual outcome is as seen in my screenshot below, which is from my Live USB stick on the Ubuntu 16.04.3 Unity on my Toshiba Satellite.

lGuNfvp.png

Note the change in prompt and colour and the hash instead of the dollar.

But that does not get you anywhere. Don't mind me, I write the way I speak the way I think, and I am only brainstorming. Think Dr Shaun Murphy on steroids and you get me.

I'll grab another cuppa coffee and think some more.

I am happy with the direction that Stan has taken over my night. All I can wonder, or rather wish for, is that you had at your mercy :rolleyes: another computer that you could either test the DVD install with or dualboot with Windows (which Stan knows about).

Because I am autistic (Asperger's, high functioning) I can often sense patterns where others don't and I can't help but think that there is a commonality with:
  • the blasted intel microcode et al and
  • maybe even the MSI mobo and
  • this latest error
If you still have the USB stick available, there is a method I outlined here https://www.linux.org/threads/hash-checking-rare-tips.13544/#post-45991 whereby you can check from within the stick itself, that the shasums match. I do not know whether that would work with an optical disk, and I don't have the DVDs to test it on, but I have CDs I could throw a Puppy or other small Linux on and check, while you proceed under Stan's tutelage?

I'll quaff some more java and think.

Cody, I thank you for your patience and good spirit. We have 3 great nations working side by side, all we need now is the UK (perhaps Jas, @JasKinasis ?) to join us and we can level mountains :D

Cheers

Wizard

took it to a shop to get set up. we'll see what happens.
I have to get back to writing documents and figuring out what 2 saturation points of carbon fiber epoxy will produce a opposite resonant frequency responses, as well as researching consumer digital audio input signals and DAC topologies. :oops: Not as fun as it sounds.

Last edited:
If you still have the USB stick available, there is a method I outlined here https://www.linux.org/threads/hash-checking-rare-tips.13544/#post-45991 whereby you can check from within the stick itself, that the shasums match. I do not know whether that would work with an optical disk, and I don't have the DVDs to test it on, but I have CDs I could throw a Puppy or other small Linux on and check, while you proceed under Stan's tutelage?

Hey, I will test this process on a DVD (with Linux Mint 18.2 MATE). Will let you know...

Ditto that (#135) :) If they do, I might book a one-way flight to BC .

Just read ... thanks, Stan :D

Wiz

Hey, I will test this process on a DVD (with Linux Mint 18.2 MATE). Will let you know...

Not that I ever doubted you, Wizard! :cool::D Worked flawlessly in my DVD test. It took a bit of time to complete on the slower DVD (/dev/sr0 on mine) but it is a good method for Linux users to verify the DVD was burned with a good download. If I get ambitious, another good test would be on Bash shell in Windows 10.... but I'll hold off on that for awhile! :eek::eek:

I guess we're on hiatus then until we hear back from Cody and his local tech. I believe we've set a record here for longest-running thread... at least since the site came under new management in April. It's been fun, but I wish we had helped steer to a successful conclusion. But, then again, it may not be over yet! :D

Cheers all
Stan

Personally, I would rather end up with egg on my face if the tech guy or gal finds we missed something simple, and have Cody waved off on his mission of integrating his speakers &c with a Linux frontend ... than sit scratching my head trying to come up with a you beaut idea that is a surefire winner, while the good man is growing older by the minute. :D

Thanks for that test Stan, that IS interesting. I was not sure how the, eg 4.7GB and encoding of a DVD would fare in comparison with the USB, but that is handy to know.

Cheers

Wizard
BTW I wasn't suggesting above, that Cody love us and leave us. I am hoping he sticks around to share Linux adventures with us all for a long time!

6,000 plus members now. That is about a 30% increase in the little over 6 months I have been here. Kudos to all the helpers, Staff and Admin Rob.

Staff online

Members online