Compatibility

Just want to shout out to you guys that the support and community here is amazing. I would like to somehow offer linux people a special code for a discount on a speaker kit im designing. I dont know if that appropriate or not. But I feel giving right now.

Ok. I found a DVD!! I am burning 16.04.3 to give that a go.

Okay, I hope it boots "normally"... as the USB used to do. If so, you can "install" Synaptic as Wizard described (it's only a temporary install anyway while running the DVD).... and then you can check the microcode date. Then let's take a break and get his input. This is a trying issue for sure, and he's smarter than me! :D

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20171114_120958.jpg
    20171114_120958.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 821
Just want to shout out to you guys that the support and community here is amazing. I would like to somehow offer linux people a special code for a discount on a speaker kit im designing. I dont know if that appropriate or not. But I feel giving right now.

Well, I know we appreciate the sentiment for sure. We enjoy helping, but some things are easier to get through than others. Yours has definitely be a new experience for me since I'm not up on newer hardware.... I've never seen the microcode error before.

(But then, my Synaptic shows that I don't have any microcode installed! :D Yay, me! LOL)

sure. so i just boot from the DVD and cntrl alt t and install synaptic?

Cntl-Alt-T will open up a terminal window. From there, type in the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

You may have to enter a "Y" to make it proceed. Of course, you need to be connected to the internet too!

Im not sure what this means.
Going to have a bit of lunch. let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Basically, it looks like we got the name wrong (but you typed all correctly). Let me go investigate a bit. Back in a few.

OK, it's not that the name is wrong.... just more steps needed.

1. Be sure you're connected to the internet.
2. Cntl-Alt-T to open the terminal.
3. Enter in terminal: sudo apt-add-repository universe
4. Enter in terminal: sudo apt-get update
5. Enter in terminal: sudo apt-get install synaptic
6. Enter in terminal: sudo synaptic

I had a few extra steps that I hope you don't need.... so let's see if this works. If all those commands go okay.

If the Synaptic Package Manager opens after the last command, click on the Search button on the top right of the menu, and search for "microcode" (without quotes).

sooooo..... i found in settings that the setting to download from the repository was not checked. universe and multiverse i think.
anywho, i checked those and re-tried synaptic and it worked.... i think. i have to re-read zards post about using it, but ill let you know.

interesting this, i never thought i would be able to work around this stuff.

You can copy/paste those commands.... use Cntl-Shift-V to paste in the terminal.

sooooo..... i found in settings that the setting to download from the repository was not checked. universe and multiverse i think.
anywho, i checked those and re-tried synaptic and it worked.... i think. i have to re-read zards post about using it, but ill let you know.

interesting this, i never thought i would be able to work around this stuff.

Great! See how much you're learning! :D A lot of times is easier to copy/paste than direct people to click into various menus. Once there, search for microcode and see what comes up to compare to your BIOS update date. Then it will be good to wait on the Wizard... he seems to have some idea about the iucode-tool, so maybe he's used it before, and I'm more than a little out of my league right now.

Staff online

Members online