Compatibility question re: Linux and WiFi cards

winku

Reaction score
Credits
Hi –

I have two computers I would like to set up for WiFi connections: Optiplex 3010 and Optiplex 780. I think a card will work better than one of those “Dongles,” but I can’t tell which cards to order. The card has both to fit a slot in the computer and be compatible with linux. (I use Mint 19.) The people selling these cards on Ebay don’t seem to know. Would appreciate any info. Could use the names of specific cards that would work, or even just the name of a site where the people running it can give accurate info.

Winku

Hi winku, and welcome to Linux.org! Optiplex is a Dell. I'd contact them first and ask which cards are compatible. You can special order a Dell with Linux installed. The only card to be cautious about, with Mint 19, would be the newest most cutting edge card/s. The manufacturer may or may not have produced a Linux driver. Many times you can look up a card on the manufacturers site and find out if they have Linux drivers, but I'd start with Dell first.

OK. Thanks Bayou. I'll try that.
winku

Hi –

I have two computers I would like to set up for WiFi connections: Optiplex 3010 and Optiplex 780. I think a card will work better than one of those “Dongles,” but I can’t tell which cards to order. The card has both to fit a slot in the computer and be compatible with linux. (I use Mint 19.) The people selling these cards on Ebay don’t seem to know. Would appreciate any info. Could use the names of specific cards that would work, or even just the name of a site where the people running it can give accurate info.

Winku
Panda Wireless gears are you go to Dongles if you need/prefers one. I have both a low and "high end" models (PAU05 I THINK and PAU09) and they are both "plug and forget" dongles on Linux Mint 18.3 on kernel 4.15.0.43.

Also to boot their techs ACTUALLY knows how to help you if your wifi is crapping! They appeared to fixed my issue with my 5Ghz channel after complaining about how bad I THOUGHT the PAU09 was acting compared to my cheaper dongle (I didn't tell them which).

Thankyou LinHappyMan and Bayou. Your info was helpful. I found a device that I think will do the trick.
winku
You are most certainly welcomed. I personally understand how much a birch WiFi is on Linux unless you get such devices that naively support Linux.

You are most welcome, winku. Keep us posted when you test it.

Members online

Latest posts