Compatability

Irish515

Reaction score
Credits
I am a greenhorn here and also to linux. Taking a course in Cyber Security which requires some knowledge of Linux. I have a USB with Linux workstation (Desktop) 20.04 and one for Linux Server. We have a few Windows 10 computers at home. Can I install the Workstation (desktop) side by side with Windows 10? Is it easy or procedures needed prior? What about Linux Server? I also am getting a Linux for Dummies book. Any ideas or help would be appreciated?

I've only ever installed Linux workstation or desktop, haven't installed Linux server before, but I found Linux very easy to install. Usually did not have many problems, if any, but I generally did my homework and read the documentation before starting. Often times I found it beneficial to have a spare computer to practice on. I have installed Linux along side Windows (dual boot) many many times. It works very well.

Try this way (new to me, working from the windoze side) and tell us how it goes. Titled somewhat misleadingly, New Way to Dual Boot (at least on the tab). There are plenty of tutorials here and there about how to do what you ask, all that's needed is a search engine.
Rute as a reference
Old way begins with user shrinking the windoze partition using its own uitility to do so.
Welcome @Irish515 !
That's all I've got for now. Come back and tell us how it's going.
(don't worry -- others will chime in)
By the way, I never have used the 'side-by-side' method -- just added three patitions.

DOUBLE POST?

I am really interested in your question @Irish515 and the answers as my own attempts have worked only in part. Using Linux Zorin happily dual booted on a Dell t790 i7 hdd 1Td. keeping win10 working fine. Though no Wifi on linux (my own prob posted)
On my Gamer workstation Dell T3610 hdd 1Td 24mg ram Crucial ssd250 OS Boot drive.. I was to load tonight Linux Mint latest version but prudently copied all as backup.
Great install sys by Linux Mint but did not find any Network or two wifi dongles-sticks and installed over Win10 OS.
So lost everything so take care.

A solution I've tried is run Linux inside of Win10 under WSL. Go to Microsoft Store type in Linux. I chose from distros FREE Unbutu and downloaded. No gui only command terminal but that's all I wanted. No dual boot and as to speed it is me typing slow code. Nice result.

No need, Rob - I have combined the two so as not to lose valuable tips from Members.

I am deleting the other.

@Irish515 welcome to linux.org :) Please don't confuse us, my hair is falling out after 5,000 years.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts