Compaq Presario SR5605F Desktop Recommendation

old_tn_man

Reaction score
Credits
Thought I would try Linux before going with Windows 7 as this machine came with VISTA. Below are the specs for the computer. Can someone suggest a system that is similar to windows 7 as we have 4 users that will use this machine and are currently familiar with windows 7. It is a 32 bit system. Thanks

M2N68-LA (Ivy8) motherboard

• Manufacturer: ASUS
  • Form factor: Micro-ATX- 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
  • Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
  • Processor socket: AM2

AMD Athlon LE-1640 Processor

• Operating speed: Up to 2.7 GHz
  • Number of cores: 1
  • Socket: AM2
  • Bus speed: 2000 MT/s
Memory

• Amount: 2 GB
  • Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Video

Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

• Up to 256MB of system memory (with 512MB or more system memory)

REALTEK AUDIO ALC***

• 6 channel high-definition audio
  • Audio CODEC: ALC888
250GB Hard Drive

DVD 16X R/RW

Last edited:

Hello @old_tn_man and welcome to linux.org :)

Simplest answer would be Zorin, likely Zorin OS Core 12.2 32-bit.

Try this article from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution to get an XP, Windows 7, &c, as well as its native look.

I have been using a Zorin since v9, but the computer I have it on is on the fritz at the moment.

Mentioned in the bottom table, in the Wikipedia but not featuring in the top, is the MX series, and I have MX-17 running. Very good, perhaps not Windozey enough.

Peach OSI Barebones would get up and fly on that computer. As would LXLE.

I'm off to make some more room in my Downloads folder, and then I'll download a couple of .isos.

Cheers

Wizard

Thought I would try Linux before going with Windows 7 as this machine came with VISTA. Below are the specs for the computer. Can someone suggest a system that is similar to windows 7 as we have 4 users that will use this machine and are currently familiar with windows 7. It is a 32 bit system. Thanks

M2N68-LA (Ivy8) motherboard

• Manufacturer: ASUS
  • Form factor: Micro-ATX- 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
  • Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
  • Processor socket: AM2

AMD Athlon LE-1640 Processor

• Operating speed: Up to 2.7 GHz
  • Number of cores: 1
  • Socket: AM2
  • Bus speed: 2000 MT/s
Memory

• Amount: 2 GB
  • Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Video

Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

• Up to 256MB of system memory (with 512MB or more system memory)

REALTEK AUDIO ALC***

• 6 channel high-definition audio
  • Audio CODEC: ALC888
250GB Hard Drive

DVD 16X R/RW

Hi @old_tn_man, and welcome to the forum. The Wizard is right... Zorin is noted for trying to look like Windows. But, in my opinion, many of the Linux desktop environments (DE's) resemble Windows enough to be usable. They have a desktop where you can place pretty wallpaper, and they have a Start button to launch your applications... usually divided up into nice categories like Internet, Office, Games, etc. Most Windows users are able to navigate through the menu system without much trouble. But don't forget that Linux is not Windows, and you may not be able to run all of the programs that you did previously in Windows. You may find some that are common (Firefox, Google Chrome, and others) but you will likely have to learn to use some substitute programs to do the tasks you need.

Also, if I am finding the right CPU for your system... it is 64-bit, not 32-bit. You may have been fooled by looking at your Windows specifications. It was quite common for companies to install 32-bit Windows onto 64-bit computers (saved them money, I guess). So, by all means, please download a 64-bit version of Linux first to burn to DVD or USB, and then try to boot your computer with that... I am pretty sure it will work. (CPU specs are here and here.)

All Linux distributions ("distros") are multi-user systems, so all 4 of your users will be able to keep their own settings, etc. But all users in Linux are normally restricted and do not have "root" privileges (like "Administrator" in Windows). This sometimes causes confusion when users find they cannot install programs or do other tasks. You can share the "root" password with all the users, if you wish, so that they can also have full control over the system. But remember that doing so means that each of those users can also break the system and make it unusable for everyone.

I always recommend folks to try out several versions, and Wizard mentioned several by name. You can download the Linux .iso files (ask us how to "verify" the download too so that you know it is complete and not corrupted)... burn them to DVD since you have a DVD drive and disks are cheap.... then boot and run the computer on the DVD in "live" mode. This is slower than how it will run when installed, but it gives you the full Linux operating system and lets you check it out to make sure you are comfortable with how it works, and you can discover if there are any problems with it recognizing your hardware (sound, wireless, etc).

A final note about hardware. NVIDIA graphics cards sometimes have an issue such that when you boot up on the "live" DVD, you may eventually just get to a black screen and not see your desktop. This is easily fixed, and we will tell you how to make it boot properly if you find that you have this trouble.

Cheers

Members online