Community Article #2: Tips for Newbies

D

DevynCJohnson

I feel like making another article with the Linux.org community. Our topic - Tips for newbies. As before, we will set up a PM and work on the article there so the public does not get any sneak peeks. I will wait until Saturday evening before I set up the PM (private message {Conversation}) and add the users who wish to help. So, on this thread, inform me if you want to participate. After Saturday, we can add ideas and discuss the article in the PM until the evening of Feb. 15th (maybe later if needed). Then, I will finalize the article and submit it to Rob to be placed on the main page of this site like other new articles.

Like our previous community-written article (http://www.linux.org/threads/yin-yang-tux.5240/), I will list all contributors and the article will be freely given to Linux.org through my Linux account.

I will leave this thread sticky until I create the PM.

Articles are a good idea. Too many articles are not.

Personally, I think more emphasis should be put on the forum section of the site. Although an article on this topic, if well written, would be useful, making it a long sticky post in the forum would be better.

The concept of this web site is an information centre. That is fine, but a forum is interactive. The long-term health of the forum would be facilitated by adding a discussion sub-forum. That would remove discussion from technical threads and give members a place for light-hearted off-topic chatter. Or, the format of the site could be altered. The forum could be the main part with the "articles" in an information sub-forum. (A discussion sub-forum is still part of this idea.)

Either way, if some articles are treated as sticky posts in the information section and others are (perhaps sticky) posts in the discussion section, it would generate more activity.

Articles are a good idea. Too many articles are not.

Personally, I think more emphasis should be put on the forum section of the site. Although an article on this topic, if well written, would be useful, making it a long sticky post in the forum would be better.

The concept of this web site is an information centre. That is fine, but a forum is interactive. The long-term health of the forum would be facilitated by adding a discussion sub-forum. That would remove discussion from technical threads and give members a place for light-hearted off-topic chatter. Or, the format of the site could be altered. The forum could be the main part with the "articles" in an information sub-forum. (A discussion sub-forum is still part of this idea.)

Either way, if some articles are treated as sticky posts in the information section and others are (perhaps sticky) posts in the discussion section, it would generate more activity.

No, I mean make this thread stick so anyone who wants to help write the article will see this thread. People can reply and comment to articles, so this site is still interactive. Have you never read or seen the articles on this site? Plus, I think me writing an article with other members on this website adds interactivity. It can/may make members feel better that they helped write some of the articles. Any thoughts on that?

I do not understand why you think the articles are not interactive. What do you mean? Users can comment to articles and debate or discuss on the same thread. of the article.

I might be O.K. at this, having learnt (?) from making every mistake possible...

I do not understand why you think the articles are not interactive. What do you mean? Users can comment to articles and debate or discuss on the same thread. of the article.
The "articles" on this site are supposed to be informative. People can comment on the content: "Nice article."; "Thanks for posting this."; etc., but the purpose is to provide information. By interactive discussion, I mean people discussing or debating a topic. Each person puts forth their view and supports it with evidence. An article is information, a discussion is a discussion. If the two are combined, then the article is not a medium of disseminating information, but rather a very long thesis argument to begin a discussion. So what is desired? Providing information or having discussions? The only way the two could possibly be combined effectively would be to have a discussion and use the arguments that result as the basis of writing an informative article. The forum would be the place where members exchange views and the article board would contain articles that result from those interactions on the forum. Writing articles for the purpose of discussion is a backwards approach.

Remember that I am making a general reference, not a reference solely to, or even relevant to, the topic of this thread's OP.

Haha, Tips for Newbies is already becoming so solemn and philosophical. I'm in, whatever it gets us into.

(the 'useful' part of my post ends here :p)

Now, extending digressions...

The "articles" on this site are supposed to be informative. People can comment on the(...)

This thread was intended to gather people for a chat that will be trimmed down and polished into a specific kind of article, community-driven. No need for an ontology of articles.

Although, if there's "discussion" below whichever article, no problems, the final words on that subject will keep on top, if you understand what I mean.

The article can be edited in this case (community-driven). Or, rarely, even in other cases, but only if the author (usually an actual authority in that field) thinks it's strictly necessary. We're online, we don't have to print a whole new edition for insubstantial changes :)

On a forum thread, a lot of precious info come with new posts. Online or not, an article is a different text genre, and the most valuable information will remain on the original, while the rest is mere comments.

Last edited:
This thread was intended to gather people for a chat that will be trimmed down and polished into a specific kind of article, community-driven.
It also begins with a poll that asks the question;
Do you think these community-written articles are a good idea?
So the OP asks for two things: tips for newbies and opinions on such articles/discussions.

I like your idea @Cyber-Berserker about making articles more interactive. Now I understand what you meant. Thanks, I will try to implement that idea into my articles.

Members online

Latest posts