Command Going Wrong

Amirvbase

Reaction score
Credits
I Run command on my Godaddy Server via SSh
sudo chown -R Amirvbase /
after that they hiding all detail from my access and unable to connect via putty
how I handle to return back to my previous work?

I Run command on my Godaddy Server via SSh
sudo chown -R Amirvbase /
after that they hiding all detail from my access and unable to connect via putty
how I handle to return back to my previous work?

This is a classic case of PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).
"They" aren't hiding anything from you. By recursively changing the permissions/ownership for everything on the root of the file-system, YOU have probably borked your server.

Why did you run chown recursively on the root of the servers file-system anyway? Was it an accidental typo? or was it deliberate? :/

Many system components of the Linux OS use (and rely on) POSIX standard permissions/ownership. There are a lot of places in the system where the wrong permissions/ownership will completely break the OS and/or completely expose the computer, breaking security.

Manual recovery from this would be almost impossible because you'd have to carefully (and manually) restore the correct permissions/ownership for every single system file and folder. If you miss just one of the critical ones - then the system will not work, or will be completely insecure/exposed.

Because of your recursive chown, I'd guess that the servers OS has probably already crashed. And because the server is remote, I'd guess that there is nothing further that you can do yourself to fix this.

Your best bet would be to contact Godaddy's customer service, or technical support. Tell them what you did and ask them for assistance. They might have a recent backup/snapshot of your server which they could restore. Otherwise they will have to perform a complete re-install of the OS.

We all learn by making mistakes. I just hope this isn't a particularly expensive lesson! :S

Good luck! ;)

Staff online

Members online