Clonezilla - topic for discussion and sharing problems

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
@wizardfromoz rightly pointed out we were going into an offtopic discussion about Clonezilla, so I decided to start a new topic about Clonezilla only - a general discussion of Clonezilla, sharing problems and personal experience with it.

We are verging on going off-topic here, might need a separate Thread on Clonezilla, I'll think about it.

Rado are you performing a partition clone or a disk clone? Last I used a partition clone and restore, Clonezilla updates the bootloader (grub) right down to new UUID if need be.

Wizard
Partition clone. A disk clone copies the empty space as well, which I don't need. Whereas partition clone copies only the occupied space (11.5 GB) and archiving it in a z6 compression shrinks it down to 4.0 GB which makes it possible to fit it on a DVD. Plus, with partition clone I can restore all the data to another storage device by simply choosing the advanced option to skip checking disk size. Or, if I'm really stubborn, I could simply edit the necessary configuartion files inside the backup directory and "resize" the disk to fit my current needs, especially if the target device is smaller than the source device. Which wouldn't be posible with Disk clone because it will try to write larger space on a smaller device.
And yes, Clonezilla (CZ for short) updates grub but since I use grub-customizer (GC), CZ seems to be unable to rewrite the GC custom scripts because when the system starts up I can see my custom boot menu is still there and unchanged. Whis works for me.

Nicely explained :)

For the benefit of The Viewers, the OP had placed a Post here, at @Vrai 's Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/grub-location.22718/#post-66965

and my comment quoted above was in response.

For those not using Grub Customizer, then, Clonezilla will accommodate the backup and restore of a root (system) partition, irrespective of whether you have Grub installed on the partition in question, or on the drive itself.

Cheers

Wizard

I use CZ, monthly...sometimes more often if I deem it necessary

I followed THIS GUIDE

@Condobloke , I don't follow guides. I prefer self-teaching because that's the quickest way for me to learn things. When I was a complete noob I damaged the system so many times that I had to restore from backup at least twice a day. Which is why now I know the process of backing up and restoring by heart and I don't even read the explanations anymore, I just move through the options like a machine and the cloning/restoring process begins. :)

Early days I thought I may have worn the backup drive clean out !

I even managed to screw the conezilla usb (dont ask)

But now...peace reigns....go through the procedure blindfolded.

Just got news of a dying step son...gtg

I'm sorry about your step son.

I use DVDs for live programs and environments because when properly stored, they can last more than 20 years and there's no way to screw up the media accidentally. Might be old fashioned but it works flawlessly, unlike the USB stick. ;)

Step son is not ok....but you get that when you smoke Ice.

He prob has another month...maybe

The only thing I can say about clonezilla is I shouldn't have tried it in the first place...a waste of 5 hrs.
t2407.gif

Members online