Clonezilla clone slows system to a crawl

sofasurfer

Reaction score
Credits
I cloned my OS to a larger (300gig) drive using Clonezilla. Now when I start it the splash screen takes a good 2 minutes to complete. Then when its running I am trying to do a backup with back-in-time. First I wanted to wipe my backup drive and gparted is running at a crawl. Also, I can not get back-in-time to find my new backup partition and the link to the old backup partition is still showing up when it does not even exist any more.
Whats going on?

Last edited:

I bet it's something to do with fstab...

But, what is the output from 'systemd-analyze blame'? (Just the top few results should cover it.)

Clonezilla is sometimes called Clonekiller for a very good reason and apart from that it's slow as hell...do yourself a favour and forget it.
m1213.gif

Back in Time is a waste of time because it doesn't back everything up and I don't think it's supported anymore...if you want something that works use Foxclone...https://www.foxclone.com/
m1203.gif

Foxclone creates an image of your Whole Drive to an External HDD or SSD...if anything happens...just put the image back...it's easy to use...comes with instructions...is fast...free and it works...download the UK link...hope this helps.
m100.gif

Clonezilla is sometimes called Clonekiller for a very good reason and apart from that it's slow as hell...do yourself a favour and forget it.
m1213.gif

Back in Time is a waste of time because it doesn't back everything up and I don't think it's supported anymore...if you want something that works use Foxclone...https://www.foxclone.com/
m1203.gif

Foxclone creates an image of your Whole Drive to an External HDD or SSD...if anything happens...just put the image back...it's easy to use...comes with instructions...is fast...free and it works...download the UK link...hope this helps.
m100.gif
I have burned a foxclone iso to dvd from <foxclone_std-50-06.iso> useing brasero and xfburn but it does not work. Never had this problem before. I get a dvd with 637mb of space used. The dvd does not boot and does not even show up to check whats inside it. Does foxclone require a special burning method to dvd?

I have burned a foxclone iso to dvd from <foxclone_std-50-06.iso> useing brasero and xfburn but it does not work. Never had this problem before. I get a dvd with 637mb of space used. The dvd does not boot and does not even show up to check whats inside it. Does foxclone require a special burning method to dvd?

Some people say it doesn't work but are doing something wrong because it works very well.
m1213.gif

Did you use the UK link ? The US link wont boot...here are the instructions...https://www.foxclone.com/download/foxcloneV50.pdf

Did you try burning the ISO to a Flash Drive ? I use a Flash Drive but will work with a DVD...I use Etcher but xfburn and Mint's USB Image Writer work too.
m1212.gif

I note @KGIII pointed out

I bet it's something to do with fstab...

But, what is the output from 'systemd-analyze blame'? (Just the top few results should cover it.)

Have you answers for either of those, @sofasurfer ?

For myself, in June I began a move from computering in the garage on one Dell laptop to working from the study on another Dell laptop.

I use Timeshift and include my Home in the snapshots. I had the snapshots for the distros on a WD external drive which also houses 30 Linux Distros.

The Dells have a 2 TB SATA HDD and a 256 GB M2 SSD.

I simply restored the 50 Distros from the WD using Timeshift, and on to the Study's Dell, no problems, and I have my 80 or so Distros up and running again.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I've got problems working with Foxclone as well. I've went to the posted URL and pretty much downloaded any version that looked like it may run to a USB.
They downloaded great. But the party ended there. Whether I did a zip, iso or Deb format, to a USB, I always instantly get the warning it won't work with my operating system.
I'm running a 64 bit Dell latitude with mint 21 (Cinnamon) can't remember right now if it's 8gb of RAM .
Computer is over 20" away and I only have 20' of tubing on dialysis pump, so to answer that there's a 4 hour wait.

Also...why do my USB sticks only format to 50% of capacity? At least that's what they display.