Cloned Lubuntu 18.04 VM - can't edit network connections after changing IP address

itm60

Reaction score
Credits
I cloned a Lubuntu 18.04 VM (running on ESXi). When I booted the cloned copy I edited the network connections (using the network menu in the lower right corner of the screen) and changed the IPV4 IP address so as not to clash with the original VM, then rebooted. Now I am unable to edit the network connections - nothing happens when I select "Edit Connection" from the networking menu. I've also noticed that the static IP address that I specified isn't being used - it seems to be getting a DHCP-assigned IP address. Any idea how I can get back in to fix this?
(PS I'm aware that 18.04 is now out of support - just hoping that a kind soul out who is familiar with this issue might be able to shed some light on it)

You could try and delete the old connections
You should have 1 file for every net you have tried to connect, open a terminal and use the commands:
Code:
sudo ls -l /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
To list all the files, after you have found the network that you want to delete, remove them with the command:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/NETWORK_NAME
reboot

You could try and delete the old connections
You should have 1 file for every net you have tried to connect, open a terminal and use the commands:
Code:
sudo ls -l /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
To list all the files, after you have found the network that you want to delete, remove them with the command:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/NETWORK_NAME
reboot
Thanks for your reply. I managed to find the solution in another forum. This is what I needed to do to set a static IP address of 192.168.1.37 (my gateway is 192.168.1.1):

• Find the id of the relevant network adapter (using ifconfig) - e.g. mine was "ens160"
  • Edit /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml as follows:
Code:
network:
 version: 2
 renderer: networkd
 ethernets:
   ens160:
    dhcp4: no
    addresses: [192.168.1.222/24]
    gateway4: 192.168.1.1
    nameservers:
      addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]