clone drive from ssd to Nvme ?

NORD

Reaction score
Credits
How would I move my current Linux Mint from ssd to NVME etcher?

G'day @NORD - not sure what the "etcher" part means.

Wiz

Etcher is what I use to make the live usb of Linux.

I would like to save all my files I guess I could reinstall it with my flash drive then some how transfer all my files....

Gotcha.

Now are we talking two drives, here? One ssd (maybe M2) and another ssd (NVME)?

one is ssd the other is M.2

If you are able to run the two drives off the same rig, you can skip the USB (flash) step and use Timeshift.

Other than that, you can take a timeshift snapshot of the origin (M2)'s root partition and then restore it to the NVME, as long as it is formatted to EXT4. As part of that snapshot you can include your Home folder or partition and take all your files with you to the new one.

Now you are from Kansas, IIRC, so best to do when bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

I can put together a blow by blow guide, if you want to answer a couple of questions first, and then I can work on a guide.

I used this last June to transfer about 45 of my Distros from one Dell to another. Worked fine.

you always have clever ways of doing things lol!

It will work without drama as long as the drive you are transferring to is bigger than the original.....this applies if you are using a clone..

If you are using the Timeshift method, it doesnt really matter if there is a difference in sizes...as long as the nvme M.2 is big enough to hold what you are transferring plus around 20 - 25% for wiggle room

eg I did my transfer from a ssd to a nvme m2. ....the ssd was 120GB....the nvme m.2 250GB....used Timeshift.

Worked like a charm. Painless.

Last edited:
....as long as the drive you are transferring to is bigger than the original.

Actually, you don't even need that, Brian, that is more of a Clonezilla attribute.

All you need with Timeshift is to restore to a partition on the destination drive that is just a little bigger than the Timeshift snapshot - but that is a story for another time.

I'm hoping the OP has gone to catch some zzz's, so I will leave a couple of questions for him, and pick up with the action plan on our tomorrow.

1. From GParted or Disks, let us know how much space is consumed by your current root partition (where all your system files are), and what device it is on, for example /dev/sda2
2. Let us know if you are on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT. If the latter, let us know the designation for the ESP (EFI System Partition) (for example /dev/sda1) and its size (maybe 300 to 500 MB).

You can show us this if you like with a screenshot from GParted, if you wish.

3. Let us know if your Home is on the root partition, or if it is on a separate partition, that partition's designation, for example /dev/sda3.

Just remember that what I asked below/before is a question, too.

If you are able to run the two drives off the same rig,

If not to that last one, all we need is a USB stick a little larger that the total amount of files and data to be transferred, and it should be formatted to EXT4. Such a process will be slower with both creating the snapshot, and with restoring to the new destination, but likely still faster than say Clonezilla (which is still a good product).

you always have clever ways of doing things lol!

You flatter me, but I am a tart for flattery. Let's see how we go first.

Night all.

Wiz

..as long as the drive you are transferring to is bigger than the original...this applies if you are using a clone..
I was thinking of a clone involving the Disks app on Linux mint. It insists that the receiving drive be at least as big if not bigger.

Clonezilla is not worth the effort.

Yes I did edit my post to 'touch up' my misnook

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts